No announcement yet.

Have you sown your tomatoes?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bearing in mind that I live in a place where hard frosts are rare. Mine were sown a few weeks ago and have had good light but low temperatures at the seedling stage as I wanted to try the "cold treatment" method. Over the last week they have been out in a cold greenhouse daytime and back into a cold room at night. On Saturday, I pricked them out into 3" pots. They will only come into the house overnight if there is a risk of frost forecast, like last night. Otherwise, they can stay in the greenhouse and get on with it.

Comment

Mine are all sown, germinated and sitting at 3 inches high in the South facing bedroom window sill along with all my chillies.

I never learn and early sow every year. They will all need potting into bigger pots soon and there won't be room on the windowsill.

The tatties also have huge chits on them and are starting to shrivel. I suppose after another couple of weeks the toms and peppers will have to go on the greenhouse staging covered with fleece and the tatties will have to be planted out

OH will kick off big style when I put the chillies on the kitchen window sill.
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

My first ones went in on Sunday.
        Saved seed from some big beefstakes given to me by my neighbouring allotment.

Comment

I've just decided to resow all of mine. I went away and they all went crazy leggy and purple. Figured to cut my losses and resow.

Comment

Originally posted by SimpleSimon View Post
            I've just decided to resow all of mine. I went away and they all went crazy leggy and purple. Figured to cut my losses and resow.
            Just repot them deep - they'll root from the stems. Never had a problem caused by purple leaves - too cold I reckon.
            Last edited by smallblueplanet; 16-03-2020, 11:11 AM.
            To see a world in a grain of sand
            And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Now the chillies are mostly out of the propagator I have today sowed some Breakfast and Ailsa Craig tommies, when there's room, more will follow.

Comment

Mine were all sown really early this year.
                The plan was to have them advanced enough for my grandson to look after them while we were away on holiday.
                Now that the holiday is cancelled I am hoping for an early crop.
                They are in the conservatory during the day and I bring them indoors at night.
                They are on a two tiered trolley like a tea trolley only bigger.
                I just wheel the lot indoors every night.

And when your back stops aching,
                And your hands begin to harden.
                You will find yourself a partner,
                In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
                  Just repot them deep - they'll root from the stems. Never had a problem caused by purple leaves - too cold I reckon.
                  Aye that's the plant. But I've sown a a cell tray full in backup just in case.

Comment

Finally got around to sowing my toms today.
                    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I sowed my chitted seed in to compost in containers yesterday evening - the'll need to go into a windowsill for light tomorrow - bit of moving to and fro required until the weather warms up needed, ho-hum. Will need to cut some extra holes in some small pots for use in the gutter watering system I've decided to try - so it will be time to get busy with the drill press and the angle grinder too - am expecting a few mess ups until I figure out a method which works OK.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X