taking things out of the propogator

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• taking things out of the propogator

My cucumbers have shot out of the ground, and they all have the two seedling leaves (albeit some still held together at the tip by the husk).

How long should I leave them on the 'gator for? should they come off now? or would you wait for proper leaves?

Get them out now. Everything comes out of my heated propagator as soon as it’s head is above the ground.
    They’ll go leggy if you leave them in.

If it’s un heated they should be fine.

Comment

Same as ^^^. Out of prop, off heat and into the light once they poke their heads up.

Comment

It depends on how much light you can give them in the propagator.

My 'propagator' is just a warmed sand bed to stand pots on in in the greenhouse and I transplant into a warmed bed in the greenhouse so there really is not much difference between them. In this case moving from propagator to greenhouse bed is hardly a move at all.

In particular they get the same amount of light in both, and the temperatures are similar.

Cucumbers in greenhouse bed

These cucumbers were sowed about 2nd week of January and planted out at start of March
        I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
          Same as ^^^. Out of prop, off heat and into the light once they poke their heads up.
          Me too. the first sign of a bit of green and they're out of the Heated prop and on to a windowsill with foil behind to help prevent them getting to leggy.
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by quanglewangle View Post
            It depends on how much light you can give them in the propagator.

My 'propagator' is just a warmed sand bed to stand pots on in in the greenhouse and I transplant into a warmed bed in the greenhouse so there really is not much difference between them. In this case moving from propagator to greenhouse bed is hardly a move at all.

In particular they get the same amount of light in both, and the temperatures are similar.

These cucumbers were sowed about 2nd week of January and planted out at start of March
            Sorry to pick on you again but if they are cucumbers they are planted much too close ....how are you going to train those?
            Last edited by Scarlet; 19-03-2020, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
              Sorry to pick on you again but if they are cucumbers they are planted much too close ....how are you going to train those?
              I disagree - my cukes were four in an bag for life, square bag the year before last, which I'd say is slightly larger than one square foot. They did amazingly well I trained them upwards on to a frame that they could climb up.

This year they will get a little more space in raised beds, but I will pack them in
              https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SarrissUK View Post
                This year they will get a little more space in raised beds, but I will pack them in
                Why give them more space if you thought your last crop was fine?

Cues need much more space than 8inches. Growing plants too close together undercover encourages botrytis.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                  Why give them more space if you thought your last crop was fine?

Cues need much more space than 8inches. Growing plants too close together undercover encourages botrytis.
                  I'm replacing the temporary 'raised bed' that is essentially bags for life and ikea bags full of soil with pallet collars in my back garden. I won't give the cukes more space between them, but they will have more depth to play with.

Comment

My cukes are outside and against a fence that has a bit of a wind tunnel along it, so much less chance of botrytis than if it was in a greenhouse. I forgot to mention that

Comment

how are you going to train those?
                      Why do I get the hard questions? I don't know how I am going to train them: I've never grown them before.

Which brings me on to spacing - I didn't know how many would germinate (4 out of 4) and I didn't know how many would transplant OK (3 out of 3). I will probably pull one out.

By the way Miss Scarlet, it doesn't count as "picking on" if you mean well. I assume we are among friends here.
                      I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

I grow ridge cukes, one in each pot and I don't train them, they go where they want in the greenhouse, usually climbing the tomatoes or sweetcorn, depending on where I site the pots. When I grew them outside in the middle of England, they just spread around on the ground. I have grown other cukes, but find the ridge so much better both to grow and to eat.

Comment

They want to climb, Quangle I've got a trellis above my raised beds that seem to do the trick for the cukes

Comment

Originally posted by quanglewangle View Post
                            By the way Miss Scarlet, it doesn't count as "picking on" if you mean well. I assume we are among friends here.
                            I do mean well but this is the second time I've queried your spacing between plants.

I grow mine at the apex end of a GH usually 3 or 4 plants which I find much more than I need for a family of 4 with plenty to give away. Obviously depends on how many you can eat in a day and what variety you are growing.
                            I make a frame with bamboo uprights and crosspieces.

Comment

I grow Beth Alpha (I may have mentioned that before She's short and chubby, like me).
                              One to a flower bucket with canes for support.
                              Last year, I thought I'd be clever and grow a row of cukes against the GH glass and a row of bush toms in front of them, the idea being that the cucumbers would provide shade on the sunny side of the GH.
                              I won't be doing that again!! I couldn't reach the cukes through the tomato foliage, they tumbled off the canes and rampaged through the toms. Not one of my better experiments - in fact, it was a rubbish one.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X