Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
    I grow Beth Alpha...
    Last year, I thought I'd be clever and grow a row of cukes against the GH glass and a row of bush toms in front of them, the idea being that the cucumbers would provide shade on the sunny side of the GH.
    I won't be doing that again!! I couldn't reach the cukes through the tomato foliage, they tumbled off the canes and rampaged through the toms. Not one of my better experiments - in fact, it was a rubbish one.
    We grow ours along the bottom of the greenhouse but grow indeterminate toms, trimmed of tom leaves at the bottom of the plant.
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
      I grow Beth Alpha (I may have mentioned that before She's short and chubby, like me).
      One to a flower bucket with canes for support.
      Last year, I thought I'd be clever and grow a row of cukes against the GH glass and a row of bush toms in front of them, the idea being that the cucumbers would provide shade on the sunny side of the GH.
      I won't be doing that again!! I couldn't reach the cukes through the tomato foliage, they tumbled off the canes and rampaged through the toms. Not one of my better experiments - in fact, it was a rubbish one.
      I’m growing Beth alpha for the first time. I’m very excited by the whole thing. Never grown a little cucumber before

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
        ... but this is the second time I've queried your spacing between plants...
        The second time! Oh, I am just so NAUGHTY.

OK, I'll pull two out.
        The real problem is that I asked Father Christmas for a second, decent size, greenhouse but she said we should go to Vienna, by train, to the opera instead..
        I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."
        ∃

Comment

Secondhand? I got one of mine 12 x8 for free...

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
            Secondhand? I got one of mine 12 x8 for free...
            Yeh - I've identified two or three abandoned greenhouses within a few hundred meters, all without glass and probably available for the asking. BUT I have had enough trouble with the wind and 3mm agricultural glass that I resolved that the next one will be toughened glass. I don't want plastic on aesthetic, transparency and longevity grounds. It turns out that having toughened glass panels made one at a time to fit an existing greenhouse is very expensive - more than a new all-toughened greenhouse.

We obviously won't be taking our planned vacation but we have also suspended all other spending plans too. So next year maybe.
            Last edited by quanglewangle; 20-03-2020, 06:27 AM. Reason: Added sentence about bepoke toughened glass cost
            I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."
            ∃

Comment

Reading this thread has saved me years of trying to get things right .
              Thanks
              Bob.

Comment

I have a heated propagator but haven't used it for the last few years. I mainly just germinate on the windowsill but seeds that need a high temperature start life on top of the fridge (externally) which seems to be warm enough for them.

My auld dad used to use the airing cupboard.
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by quanglewangle View Post
                  The real problem is that I asked Father Christmas for a second, decent size, greenhouse but she said we should go to Vienna, by train, to the opera instead..
                  I needed that laugh this morning, thank you sir

Comment

Hello all,

Here are all my babies atm as you can see some have just come out the propagator, thought i might have been bit premature but this tread has settled me a little. also they dont seem to be growing so well as i think the temperature have dropped.

Herbs sprouting (used and bag over the top of pots):
                    https://ibb.co/ZW9kcwF

Potatoes Chitting:
                    https://ibb.co/CKcCpN7

Chillis on top tray and mixed on bottom tray with:
                    https://ibb.co/5KNzGzj

Toms:
                    https://ibb.co/Rh7GW5L
                    https://ibb.co/nz2GLW5

Mixed seedlings pricked out i thought was ealry:
                    https://ibb.co/P6cwNxj

Melon, cucumber and toms to plant up:
                    https://ibb.co/bHbDYbt

Sweet Peppers Californian wonder:
                    https://ibb.co/mN13VK9

There has been no action on these and its been around 16 days. think i need to up the temperatures. Was looking to get a heat mat found some on flee bay (Reptile Vivarium Heating Mat Warm Heater Pad with Thermostat Controller+UK PLUG- £8.49 each) Would these do the job? As they're fraction of price of the official hydro ones which are around £40!

Also Sarris if you need any more pallet collars let me know we have loads at work.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by ghexton View Post
                      Hello all,

(Reptile Vivarium Heating Mat Warm Heater Pad with Thermostat Controller+UK PLUG- £8.49 each) Would these do the job?

Also Sarris if you need any more pallet collars let me know we have loads at work.

Thanks.
                      Heat mat probably needs to be > 30W but depends on area and how warm your house is. If it's thermostatic it won't overheat so get most watts you can, I would say.

Wass a pallet collar?
                      ∃

Comment

Originally posted by quanglewangle View Post
                        It turns out that having toughened glass panels made one at a time to fit an existing greenhouse is very expensive - more than a new all-toughened greenhouse.
                        So next year maybe.

I also have a Rhino 20X8. Sited in a very open spot. It was a surprise present - was my dream GH as it's a perfect spot for a GH but it backs onto open land that faces the weather and gets hit by lots of wind. A( I've lost several trees due to the wind) It was recommended that we have a concrete footing around the edge and use fixings all the way around. It's fabulous.
                        Last edited by Scarlet; 20-03-2020, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Hello all,

Here are all my babies atm as you can see some have just come out the propagator
                          They all look good to me.
                          Though remember that lots of the stuff you are growing are tender and won't be able to go out for quite some time.
                          Can I spy beans?? That's early. They really don't like the cold. I start mine in May. Same for cucumbers.unless you have a heated GH?

I use a reptile mat and a couple of propagator s. But airing cupboard would work. They don't need light while germinating.
                          The trouble I find with heat mats is that the pots dry out. There's a decent prop on Amazon for about £30. The Stewart Essential heated 52cm or the smaller one for around £20
                          Last edited by Scarlet; 20-03-2020, 09:03 AM.

Comment

hello,
                            At quanglewangle pallet collars are collars for pallet used used on top if pallets in shipping. You can often by them for couple quid to build raised beds cheaply.
                            Please see below how i have used them to build my own raised beds.
                            they are 1200x800mm

https://ibb.co/fvd4Pm6
                            https://ibb.co/0p0hqGD

Also the spec of the Vivarium Heat Mat Heating Warm Heater Pad Reptile with Thermostat Controller is:
                            Description
                            100% Brand New and High quality.
                            Good to stimulate appetite and improve dyspepsia.
                            Easy to wash, convenient and practical.
                            Heat mat distributes the heat uniformly to the surface of the substrate.
                            Ultra thin design with maximum flexibility.
                            Grid structure ensures excellent and even heat dissipation.
                            Built-in thermostat, safe and balanced temperature distribution.
                            With a adjustable switch, adjustable temperature ranged 0-35 degree.
                            Can be used inside or outside of incubator, also can be used in water for a short time.
                            Suitable for tortoise, snake, lizard, gecko, spider, etc.

Specification:
                            Type:Warm Heater
                            Color:Black
                            Item Size:
                            20W(42X28CM)
                            Cable Length:150cm
                            Plug:UK

Package Includes:
                            1*Reptile Warm Heater

So I'm guessing this wont be strong enough? its to go inside in confined grow cupboard.

Thansk.

Comment

Yes you do spy bean @ scarlet. i got excited and planted loads of things up.
                              Ive gone fully wild an decided ti build an grow cupboard to aid my rubbish windowcills.
                              and orded a fancy LED light off DIYLED.co.uk taking an age to arrive though.
                              if you all want pics im planning to finish it this weekend.

Comment

Yes you do spy bean @ scarlet. i got excited and planted loads of things up.
                                Ive gone fully wild an decided ti build an grow cupboard to aid my rubbish windowcills.
                                and orded a fancy LED light off DIYLED.co.uk taking an age to arrive though.
                                if you all want pics im planning to finish it this weekend.
                                Oooh, which light did you order? I understand he's just moved premises so is a bit swamped and the delivery companies are having issues at the moment.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X