Growing cucumber outside

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growing cucumber outside

I have never grown cucumber out side and was wondering what veriety you could recommend for a usually wet, cool area and please state whither the male flowers need to be removed, thanks
    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Only outside variety I know of is Marketmore. I've no idea whether male flowers need to be removed or not but I would remove them as a matter of course anyway if they appear.

Comment

Gherkins do well outside, in Lidl was a variety called for salad and pickling and its not bitter at all.

Comment

This looks helpful
        https://www.gardenfocused.co.uk/vege...ridge/grow.php

and I have grown these
        https://www.suttons.co.uk/Gardening/...455.htm#162455

Comment

Marketmore and Burpless do well for us outside. Not needed to remove any flowers.
          Location ... Nottingham

Comment

I grew Masterpiece outside last year with plenty of success for small gherkin type fruit and larger ones. Sadly my hope that home grown cucumbers would prove to give less indigestion than shop bought ones was incorrect so I won't be trying again.

I didn't remove any flowers.
            Last edited by mcdood; 21-03-2020, 05:32 AM. Reason: flower stuff

Comment

I’ve never had any success with growing cucumbers outside. Tried a couple of varieties. Don’t remember which ones now.
              I’ve stopped trying.

Comment

Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
                I’ve never had any success with growing cucumbers outside. Tried a couple of varieties. Don’t remember which ones now.
                I’ve stopped trying.
                I'm the same usually its the wet that get to them in the end in the GH I can control that.
                Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I grow the small cucumbers and find they do well - varieties I have tried are Cucino, Mini Munch and La Diva. I sow them in mid-May so that there is no danger of frost by the time they are big enough to go outside. I've used 2 methods of planting - a Duogrow planter (self watering, similar to a quadgrow but with 2 pots) and in bottomless pots (MFBs) in the soil, with the bottom inch or so buried. This prevents waterlogging, but they do need watering every day if it is dry. I put a copper barrier round the plant, either copper tape round the pot or a ring of plastic bottle with copper tape on round the stem, to keep slugs off. You can expect to start harvesting in July.

These were mine last year:

Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	703.6 KB
ID:	2386646

At home against the fence - these are in the duogrow at the beginning of August.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-03-21 08.16.06.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	338.0 KB
ID:	2386648

These are growing in the tunnel in bottomless pots, taken on 26th September.

Cucumbers hate hot sun and tend to wilt, so I find that shading them with netting on hot days or growing them in the tunnel really helps.
                  Attached Files
                  A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

I’ve grown crystal apple and marketmore outside. I grow through a groundsheet, it helps prevent drying out.

Comment

I grow cucumbers outside every year because I don’t have a greenhouse. I always buy Akita from Lidl and it grows really well. Have also grown a range of other ones but randomly chosen so I can’t remember the names. No need to remove male flowers.

Comment

Grew a variety called Mini. different taste which I liked. Found the small ones better as I didn't waste half a cucumber.

For Ayeshire I suggest a search for early cucumbers, just gives them a bit more time.

Cannot think why you would remove the male flowers, they are there to fertilise the female flowers and that is where the cucumbers come from. What I expect you want is male and female at the same time.

Had Crystal Lemon last year, have to say unimpressed, small, round but too many seeds.
                        Last edited by Kirk; 22-03-2020, 10:27 AM.

Comment

It's normally only greenhouse type cucumbers that need the male flowers removing as they don't need to be pollinated to produce fruit. Leaving the male flowers on can make the fruit bitter. Marketmore has always worked well for me outdoors.

Comment

Kirk as Salway cropper has said many of the greenhouse cucumber need the male flowers removed, having in the past, tasted one that should have had the male flower removed, I don't want to repeat that experience
                            it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Originally posted by rary View Post
                              Kirk as Salway cropper has said many of the greenhouse cucumber need the male flowers removed, having in the past, tasted one that should have had the male flower removed, I don't want to repeat that experience
                              That’s why I deliberately grow F1 cucumbers. Life’s to short to pick off male flowers.
                              I’m sure there’s a thread about that

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X