What to grow in winter

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to grow in winter

I have several link-a-bord raised beds (4 1 x 1m, 6 1 x 1/2m, 2 1.5 x 1/2m in my garden along with a 6 x 12ft greenhouse and a 6 x 4ft plastic greenhouse and several large pots.

I have jut put in some plants I got off ebay - caulis, and two types of cabbage (including a savoy type). I have just ordered some garlic and some onion sets. I have brocolli on order awaiting delivery. I am putting in a large bed of peas (feltham first) and one broad beans (aquadulce). These will take up 3 of the 1m x 1m beds, 4 of the 1m x 1/2m, and one of the 1.5 x 1/2m beds.

This will leave 1 1m x 1m, 1 1.5m 1/2m and 2 1m x 1/2m. All the beds are 15cm or so deep

What else could I grow over the winter as I hate to see the beds empty and this is my first year really growing stuff and after the poor harvest I had over summer (most of my crops got waterlogged - I am buyong cheap gazebos next year to keep them dry) I want to get some produce from the garden. Would carrots grow in pots in the greenhouse over winter? HOw about mini parsnips (lancer) in pots they both did really well over the summer in pots.

I still have growing in the big greenhouse tomatoes (still green) sweet banana peppers, jalepenos and california wonder peppers along with aubergines which have one small fruit on.

I think you just about have it covered there Kimbo!

How about a few strawberry plants or other soft fruit bushes?
    An annual flower mix would be ok for the small bed and give you cut flowers for early next year!

As a last resort a green manure crop of some sorts could be planted rather than leave the ground bare for the winter!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Hi Kimbo,

I think you've already got all the good stuffs (chunky brassicas) in. I should have bought them as plug plants too as sowing from seeds get harder in cooler Autumn...well for novice like me. My autumn sown cauli didn't make it, too cold outside.

Okay in my winter veg list, there is winter lettuce (valdor, winter density, artic king but please check), lamb's lettuce, red radicchio, spinach (scenic) and radish (Juliette, Rudi).
      Food for Free

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
        I think you just about have it covered there Kimbo!

How about a few strawberry plants or other soft fruit bushes?
        An annual flower mix would be ok for the small bed and give you cut flowers for early next year!

As a last resort a green manure crop of some sorts could be planted rather than leave the ground bare for the winter!
        Got a redcurrant and blackcurrant to go in as well

Comment

what about swiss chard and winter hardy greens like mizuna?

Comment

I only saw my seed packet for Swede (Bora)...that you can grow from Sep onwards, it has winter hardiness. Just remember that Swede is also a brassica.
            Food for Free

Comment

Sorry my mistake, no Swede for sowing around now. Packet says HARVEST from September onwards.
              Food for Free

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X