No fruit bush in shops

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No fruit bush in shops

I checked out various stores like Wilko, Poundstretcher (even Tesco) etc last weekend, but no sign of those supposedly cheap fruit bush/bare roots for autumn planting. Have I missed the boat and wait for the Spring ones?

Anyway I'm about to get my orders online, at least you know what variety you're getting and their prices are the going rate or only marginally more expensive but you can get your guarantee for peace of mind if the plants fail.
    Last edited by veg4681; 01-10-2007, 01:32 PM.
    Food for Free

Aldi's or KLidl had fruit bushes on sale over the weekend. I bought some about three years ago and they are still doing well.
    I will check and see if i can find the news letter for you.

And when your back stops aching,
    And your hands begin to harden.
    You will find yourself a partner,
    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Lidl had them at the end of Feb last year.

Comment

Originally posted by bramble View Post
        Aldi's or KLidl had fruit bushes on sale over the weekend. I bought some about three years ago and they are still doing well.
        I will check and see if i can find the news letter for you.
        Yeah I went to a nearby Aldi but they only had flowering bulbs. All these reports from people about these bushes yet I must be living in the wrong part of the country. In spring, I do see these stuffs where I live.

If anybody's interested, Wilko has various colour climbing roses (packed in open top box type) for a £1 (think they were a quid each).
        Food for Free

Comment

Plenty of time for bare rooted stuff yet! The trees haven't even dropped there leaves yet!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

i went to poundland at the weekend and brought :-
            2 blackcurrant
            2 red currant
            great bargain at one pound each

Comment

Originally posted by worzle gummidge View Post
              i went to poundland at the weekend and brought :-
              2 blackcurrant
              2 red currant
              great bargain at one pound each
              See, I must be living in the wrong part of the country!!! LOL!

Were there any white currant? Not terribly keen on black/red currant. Don't think I've ever seen white currant sold this way.
              Last edited by veg4681; 01-10-2007, 04:25 PM.
              Food for Free

Comment

Originally posted by veg4681 View Post
                You and me both! I have been to Wilko, Lidl, Poundstretcher, B&Q and Homebase in the past couple of weeks, feeling *sure* that at least one of them would have some good value stuff. Not a sausage! In fact not even high priced stuff, just... nothing!!!

I don't know how long to play the waiting game. I'm sure I'll be less keen on hacking into frozen soil in a month or two!

Claire
                I was feeling part of the scenery
                I walked right out of the machinery
                My heart going boom boom boom
                "Hey" he said "Grab your things
                I've come to take you home."

Comment

Not seen any in those same shops in my area either. Only Xmas crackers.
                  Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by veg4681 View Post

Were there any white currant? Not terribly keen on black/red currant. Don't think I've ever seen white currant sold this way.
                    not sure about white currant there was only three of each kind by the time i got there but i will keep looking in because i was told they also had gooseberry's and rasberry canes

Comment

Originally posted by seasprout View Post
                      Not seen any in those same shops in my area either. Only Xmas crackers.
                      In our part, they might appear in the shops between end of Oct and Nov when the Autumn planting is done supposedly. I didn't wait and ordered online anyway but I found out that the delivery won't necessarily be made till around end Oct-Nov...when the seedling/bush are ready from the nursery.

Besides there are few desirable stuffs that I wouldn't have got from the shops anyway. Also I've had it, can't afford the catching up and wait and see game!
                      Last edited by veg4681; 02-10-2007, 01:50 PM.
                      Food for Free

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X