Watering Ways

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watering Ways

I have access to a land where I might try growing veggies requiring a longer growing period. I'd like to start digging this weekend. Only problem is there's no tap running water (canal & stream nearby though). Ideally I'd prefer to visit the site only in the weekend as driving is necessary and there's no 'doable' short walking footpath that I know of.

I already have a water butt but what other choices are there for watering gadgets/solutions/strategies?
    Last edited by veg4681; 17-10-2007, 08:50 PM.
    Food for Free

A pump from machine mart taking water from the canal or stream, but as you would need a water abstraction license from the water authority that one is ruled out isn't it.
    Always thank people who have helped you immediately, as they may not be around to thank later.
    Visit my blog at http://podsplot.blogspot.com/ - Updated 18th October 2009
    I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/

Comment

It's okay Peter, I wouldn't want to use the water from stream or canal. Been told they could have rat pee in it. I was thinking of something less expensive channelling water from the water butt or gadgets like water spikes/drippers that you attach to a plastic bottle...etc
      Last edited by veg4681; 18-10-2007, 09:27 AM.
      Food for Free

Comment

Get yourself a couple of 1000 litre plastic cube shaped water storage containers. They have a metal frame around them for added strength and an in inlet hole on the top and tap at the bottom.

Once sited, build a roof over the top of each with a guttering and down comer feeding the tank with water. I have seen this done and it looks quite ornamental as well as functional.

The containers are used for bulk delivery of foodstuffs (mine had vinegar in it!) and can usually be picked up quite cheaply or for free as they are surplus to requirements after they have been used!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
          The containers are used for bulk delivery of foodstuffs (mine had vinegar in it!) and can usually be picked up quite cheaply or for free as they are surplus to requirements after they have been used!
          From whom would you be able to buy these off, restaurant, caterer? It's true there are a lot of surplus stuffs that industry no longer have a use for and yet they have the potential to turn into useful garden aid accessories.
          Food for Free

Comment

With Caution on the IBC

A neighbour allotmenteer used one an IBC but didn't clean it out - killed a fair few of his crops that year.

We've found that Ebayers try and flog them for about £50 each - but as Snadger said you can get from free. We found a local seed merchant/farm supplier who was more than willing that we used them and cleared his yard!!

On our allotment we've no running water either - so we've extended our shed roofs and utilise lots of plastic butts to collect - I mean LOTS...

Also have some baths dotted around - some dug in.

We all coped this year (naturally enough), but last year was a struggle and had to complement with the odd bits of water from home

Comment

Thanks SJA, I checked out the eBay on IBC and got a look in, otherwise couldn't imagine what they look like. Gosh, they're mighty big stuffs. DH says there might be few lying around in the farm.

I had no idea that some allotments have to make do without running water. I thought they all come equipped with one of the most basic facility! In situation like this, I guess one has to find creative means of watering.

As the veggie plot will run along the side an arched roof hanger, we hope that rain water will drain right into it. Part of the watering solution is resolved so long we get decent rain next year.
              Last edited by veg4681; 20-10-2007, 08:43 PM.
              Food for Free

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X