Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Broad beans -what sort of support for them?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broad beans -what sort of support for them?

As title, they're about a foot high at the moment and have minimal support (just enough to keep them off the ground).

Does each one need a cane or should it be in rows with string across and the plants climbing?

You beat me to it - I was about to research the same question!

KK

Comment

I would suggest a cane for each one, unless they're in a very sheltered spot, as they'll need to be protected from winter gales. They don't have tendrils like peas so you'll need to tie them in.

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

Thanks BW. I shall dismiss from my mind the image of corporal punishment for beans! I suppose it could be worse - corporal punishment for has-beens!

KK

Comment

oh dear...

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

Didn't think of winter gales. I have mine in early spring without support. Maybe a cane each is a good idea.

Phreddy

Comment

Usual advice is to plant them in double rows. Put stakes around the "bed" and run string from stake to stake enclosing the bean plants. One string around 9" high and another about six to eight inches higher than that.

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
                Usual advice is to plant them in double rows. Put stakes around the "bed" and run string from stake to stake enclosing the bean plants. One string around 9" high and another about six to eight inches higher than that.
                Thats the way I do it and it's always worked for me until last year when they attained a height of six foot! The stakes weren't big enough and I finished up braying extra supports in, in the middle of a gale which was threatening to demolish the lot!
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

That's what I do too although last Jan's storms did for me a fair bit and I ended up doing better with the Spring sown ones.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I wouldn't put a cane on each one, like Runners or French - Broads don't cling. As Rustylady says, double rows with canes and twine round the outside should keep them up. I never stake mine (too lazy) but the winds ensure my boreds never get higher than about 15 inches, and the yield is therefore reduced. I intend to stake them this year, to make the planting worthwhile.
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Ohhhh, I was hoping to plant some broadies next week, when I do my garlic - will that be too late then? (Sorry, hijacking again!).
                      Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

No, should be fine - especially down there in sunny Bucks!
                        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Cheers Flummery! And sunny it is as well today - bit chilly but gloriously bright and clear, the way I love it!
                          Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X