Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mouldy garlic!

Afternoon,

I've just opened the envelope in which I was sent my garlic, ready for planting, only to find that they are all mouldy and there's definitely no lovely garlicky smell. There is a light dusting of mould on the bulbs and they have started to separate.

I'm so disappointed having spent weeks preparing the bed on my allotment. I'm assuming that I absolutely can't use them?

Are they squishy or still plump and firm? Would think that if they are still firm they will be okay. No expert - haven't grown garlic yet - but that is how I judge whether it is okay to use for cooking.

If they are soft contact the supplier and they should replace.
    Last edited by shirlthegirl43; 21-10-2007, 04:31 PM.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

QOC
      Were they from a reputable company, Were they delayed by the postal strike.

Comment

Funnily enough I bought some from Tesco's a while back and seperated the cloves ready for planting. When I came to plant it today the cloves were mouldy.
        The bulbs that I hadn't seperated were ok though so at least I managed to get some planted.
        I wasn't prepared to take a chance with the mouldy cloves so I burned them.

If they have arrived from the supplier mouldy I would deffinately contact the supplier with a photograph if possible!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

That's bad luck, Queeny.

The bulbs should not be mouldy. I would avoid planting them.

Call or email the supplier and explain the problem, ask for a replacement asap.

If you have not caused this (i.e. you haven't got them damp, etc) then firmly, but politely, make sure they honour their side of the transaction.

Comment

they were from a very reputable supplier - not delayed by postal strike either, but definitely gone mouldy. sigh. I hope they'll replace.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X