What to do with monster swedes.....

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with monster swedes.....

After the disaster with my sweedes last year they are much better this time. However they are getting rather large, some the size of footballs and there's only so much sweede you can eat.
    I assume they keep growing all the time they are in the ground. Is there any way they can be lifted and stored bearing in mind I don't have that much space available to store stuff?
    Has anyone had success part cooking them and freezing them as an alternative? I tried carrots last year and they were horrid but my beans have frozen really well.

I'll be watching this thread with interest Nicky, I too have monster swedes and there's only so much mashed swede and carrot we Scarey's can eat. I have made 2 huge batches and frozen them but that's about the limit of my cullinary skills.
    A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

I think that traditionally swedes are stored in a 'clamp' (i.e. put in layers separated by straw to make a big pyramid then the whole lot covered in earth) but that sounds like a faff to me.

I would have thought that the growth would slow down or even stop over winter, so I'd guess that that the best plan would be to leave in situ and dig em as you want them.

They would, of course, make useful and unusual Christmas presents....

Comment

Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
        They would, of course, make useful and unusual Christmas presents....
        ...if a little awkward to wrap!
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

There's a good winter soup you could do, chop up a swede, some carrots and onions, add a smoked ham hock and a pound of yellow split peas, water on top, boili until done. Take out the ham hock, let it cool and puree the veggies. Pick the meat off the ham hock and add to the rest of the soup. Adjust seasoning, and bob's your proverbial. It freezes really well too.

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

When we were kids no-one apart from the toff's had a pumpkin at Halloween.
            Most of the kids used to do off to the nearest farmers field that had swede's growing.
            We always searched for the biggest, brought it back, cut the top off, flicked out the 'swede meat' with a knife, triying to catch the bits flicked out in our mouths (Mmmm another memory....raw swede!)) Cut a face in it and added a candle!
            I can still remember the pong of candle burned swede til this day!

Thats what big swedes are for!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
              I can still remember the pong of candle burned swede til this day!

Thats what big swedes are for!
              Yup, I remember that too Snadger. We weren't allowed to dig it out with a knife - we had to use a spoon! Sore hands or what! halloween lanterns were a labour of love then
              Happy Gardening,
              Shirley

Comment

I've got monster winter radishes, can't eat them fast enough.... keep making soup and add them with the other root veg but run out of freezer space to store it all, they'll have to stay in the ground till they get to giant pumpkin size....
                Sue

Comment

I wonder if piglet would be kind enough to post the picture of my 3 giant radish for me?????
                  "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Hi Nicos, email me them again and I will.

Comment

Hi again Nicky, just had a thought, what did you do to get your monster swedes? Just that I'm planning to try them next year, any tips? Just lots of muck and regular watering?

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

I've been told that watering is the key, BW - you want large, but tender Swede, not large and woody.

Some of mine are pretty big now, but slightly disappointing as they are tricky to mash, but I'll know better for next year!

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
                          Yup, I remember that too Snadger. We weren't allowed to dig it out with a knife - we had to use a spoon! Sore hands or what! halloween lanterns were a labour of love then
                          PS Thats what we called SNADGER picking!
                          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

OH Snadger Such great memories you have awoken.
                            I remember trapesing over Farmer Batleys fields for his sweeds (horrible man he was !)
                            We also used sugarbeet, i think that is what they were. They were like huge radishes and used to make a great lantern.
                            And as you say the smell of candle burnt sweed will be with you for ever , as will my mothers face as she chased me for her best cutlery/ lantern making tools.
                            Thanks again, really took me back, Minty
                            " If it tastes like chicken THEN EAT CHICKEN " :- Kermit The Frog

http://mohicans-allotment.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X