Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• growing melons from seed

Hello!
    Can anybody advise me if my melon seeds (that i took from a melon last week and are already sprouting) will actually produce anything? So far there seems to be mixed views. Has anybody done it successfully. I don't particularly won't to use up valuable space on something i can't eat.

melons by bob

Bob Flowerdew has grown melons. He says treat them like cucumbers but need even more heat to to keep them growing well. They will rot if their necks get wet. so he plants on a mound of sterile compost. nip out the growing tip after four good leaves to produce side shoots. Later, in one go pollinate one flower on each shoot with a brush or cotton bud to get even sized fruits. melons prone to spider mite. best melons he grew were in cold frame on top of fresh made compost heap in late spring. Under cover melons are trained up strong strings and ripening fruits need supporting with nets bags. you can read the full quote in bob flowerdews organic bible puplished by Kyle Cathie. I got my copy from Amazon.
    Retirement is when you stop living at work and start working at living

Comment

The hard part with melons is getting them to germinate which you have succeeded to do. How they grow after that is probably down to the variety and whether they will be happy growing in the British climate. But if you have a greenhouse I don't see why they shouldn't be successful.
      [

Comment

I planted the variety 'sugar baby' recently and thought it would be too cold for them to germinate, but as soon as I got my plastic greenhouse and put them in there they have all started popping up...got four tiny plants at the moment - Not sure my greenhouse is going to be able to house all the things I want to grow so going to have to give some away I think. Thanks for the info - a good read as I know nothing about growing melons at all!

Comment

I tried melons last year but the actual melons didn't get big enough to eat, this year I only have one plant left as my grandaughter kindly decided I didn't need the other two but I have never had a problem with germination
          www.poultrychat.com

Comment

I had the same problem, plenty of plant growth but melons were not big enough to eat. Still Im trying again this year but will pick out the growing points after 5 leaves and see what happens

Comment

Thanks everyone for the tips & advice, will try them

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X