field beans

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• field beans

Hi all i've just been given some field beans to use as a green manure. Is this suitable for sowing now and when do i dig it back in?
    Thanks

No problem. OH plantes some a couple of weeks ago there about 5inch high, i think you allow them to grow up to 1/2m them chop and leave them to breackdown digging in in the spring. Think this is righjt anyway

Comment

From what I've seen they are very similar to broad beans.

I personally would rather sow broad beans now and get a crop from them. The haulms could still be used for green manure and the fixated nitrogen from the roots will give an extra boost to the soil!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Hi Raine, i've had 'winter field bean' in for a few weeks now. It is about 2 inches high. I intend to let it grow, as mrs potato head says to about 1/2 a metre, maybe a bit higher. Just before it flowers, i'll dig it in. This should be about 2 or 3 weeks before i start planting, and should improve the soil. I've added some manure too, just for good measure
        Vegmonkey and the Mrs. - vegetable gardening in a small space in Cheltenham at www.vegmonkey.co.uk

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X