X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sorry to hear your sister had incontinence
    ntg
    Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
    ==================================================

Comment

I was set the task of finding info on if raw rubabrb is poisinous at my work, as some one bought some to give to some animals. Everything I could find said only the leaves are poisinous, the stalks are fine raw.

Comment

I always thought that the leaves are poisonous but the stalks are fine to eat raw or otherwise.
        Arbitary fact of the day
        A friend of mine many years ago did some research into enzymes and apparently you should never cook rhubarb and pineapple together as their enzymes react and can make you quite ill. You can cook them separatley and then mix them, I'm not sure what you would want to make with the two, but not mix them raw and then cook them. They found this out in WWII when SA sent loads of fresh pineapples over, they were a bit of a novelty and no one really knew what to do with them so a women's magazine published some recipes including a rhubarb and pineapple steamed pudding. several people were very ill

Comment

I understand the roots are supposed to cure constipation
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos
            I understand the roots are supposed to cure constipation
            Rhubarb was always grown for its roots, never for food. The roots are indeed a purgative that can be used to clear you out. The Victorians used great quantities of it each year. It was only after the Edwardian era that people started to eat the stalks.
            Runner beans and tomatoes were only grown for their decorative appearance many years ago. Eating these crops is a recent development. Red fruit and flowers were considered dangerous. Another reason for not eating tomatoes is that they along with potatoes are part of the deadly nightshade family.
            Jax

Comment

I compost all my rhubarb leaves and have done for a number of years. Judging by the soil around my extensive rhubarb plot, the soil is so good, the decomposting leaves must be great!
              ~
              Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
              ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Blackkitty
                Now I'm not one to pour scorn on scientific research, but if youcannot mix rhubarb and pineapple, does that mean I have been slowly poisoning myself and my family for years with my rhubarb, pineapple and ginger jam
                Rat

British by birth
                Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

I can only think that its something to do with how you cook them, or maybe you have been poisoning them for years.......

Comment

Rhubarb is poisonous at the top and the bottom! The leaves contain oxalic acid...which does not disappear even if cooked. Composting is fine as long as it is done over a long period. Rhubabrb also contains glycoside which is found at the bottom of the stalk....usaully the bit left after snapping from crown. This should be cut off and discarded. Glycoside is also found in foxgloves and I dont suppose you'd eat that!
                    Geordie

Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X