Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Romanesco Cauli - how big before harvesting?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Romanesco Cauli - how big before harvesting?

I have a afew of these doing quite nicely The biggest are about the size of a large fist. Will they be edible? Or should I leave tham a bit longer?

Claire
    I was feeling part of the scenery
    I walked right out of the machinery
    My heart going boom boom boom
    "Hey" he said "Grab your things
    I've come to take you home."

Eat em up!
    Mine went all funny, with leaves growing out between the florets, it didn't look at all appetising.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

They can get quite large, but a lot depends on the spacing. They are perfectly edible at a small size, so I would go for it if I were you.

Comment

Thanks! I shall tuck in then

Claire

Comment

Even if I'm too late and you've already harvested Seahorse, I have never yet managed to grow them bigger than fist-size, if that's any consolation (!) and they've always tasted just gorgeous, and yours' will too.
          Coincidentally, here in France, I wanted The Scareys to experience Romanesco, so bought one to include in one of the dinners I cooked for them, and it was the mankiest, mouldiest, limpest specimen of a vegetable that I've experienced in a long time.....
          Roll on 'Growing Your Very Own' and as much Self-Sufficiency as you can physically manage, is my up and coming motto after THAT disappointing experience....

Comment

I have just eaten my very first one I added it to supermarket cauli and spuds with homemade cheese sauce to make a gratin. It definitely had more flavour and crunch than shop bought (although my children were suitably horrified by the two huge caterpillars we found in it - thankfully before cooking and eating ).

Claire

Comment

I grew a few just to see what they were like. My boy cant get enough & my eldest 'extra fussy' will have the odd floret. Thats a success in my book- getting her to eat any new veg is! I have had ones any size between fist size & small cauli size. The only difference being there's less to go round with the small ones. I've also had a couple of blind ones (a friend had most of hers blind) and a few deformed ones like twosheds. I think it must be something to do with the breeding program!As to the caterpillars, I now spray everything regularly with strong garlic water- apparently the butterflies taste with their feet so dont like my garlic flavour plants & go to the neighbours plot instead. This year I've had hardly any of the little green blighters!

Comment

I hadn't heard of garlic water to reply insects! Does it flavour your crops (I guess not!).

Claire

Comment

No it leaves no taste at all (and my lot would detect the slightest!) I would say you have to re-apply regularly though. Its not 100% but nothing is in this world & so long as it does the worst of it I'm happy.

Comment

Sounds good to me! TY!

Comment

I have grown Romanesco for the first time this year, they are still small at the moment, I have well wrapped them in fleece, hoping to try some soon.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X