No announcement yet.

Overwinter chilli plants?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My overwintered Cayenne (windowsill) is throwing out proper new leaves at the bottom of the stem now. There are dried chillies on the top of the stem, so I think I will prune it.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I have 2 new chillis about 5cm long on my Fresno plant...flowers....loads of fresh new growth...on the window ledge above the radiator!!!
      Struggling to germinate seeds though.
      Impossible is not a fact its an opinion...
      Impossible is not a decleration its a dare...
      Impossible is potential......

www.danmonaghan.co.uk

Comment

Sorry- but no idea what variety mine is- but it's been on the kitchen windowsill over winter- and has flowered and fruited which has been a lovely surprise!
        My problem is with greenfly- and I have to keep rinsing it under the tap....sort of stunted it's growth a bit

I'll certainly over winter again.
        Anyone know how long chilli plants can live????
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Hello,

I have managed to over winter some chillies and peppers on windowsills.Would i be Ok in putting them in a greenhouse now or will it still be too cold for them?
          After keeping them so long i don't want to kill them but could be doing with the space back!!

Thanks

Comment

I'm sure I've read somewhere that they need a constant minimum of 14 degrees C so I wouldn't suggest putting them in the greenhouse just yet.

I've just asked LadyWayne to put mine out the front of the house during the day and give them a quick spray with soapy water.
            A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

My first 2 Scotch Bonnet plants I grew in 2006 are still going. They're quite small plants though. I'll put a photo on here soon.

Comment

Seen as your all such a lovely bunch of chilli growers i have some spare seeds....

If you want some Dorset Naga Seeds drop me a PM and i'll send you some i have...if theres loads of people i might ask for a SAE...

Warning....these are seriously hhhhhot....i unfortunately rubbed my eye yesterday after handling some and spent 45 minutes with my eye in the sink groaning to the missus!!!

I'll hopefully get some pics of my plants up soon!!
                Impossible is not a fact its an opinion...
                Impossible is not a decleration its a dare...
                Impossible is potential......

www.danmonaghan.co.uk

Comment

My overwintered Alberto Rocoto is now back outdoors [it was only indoors from christmas until last week and it lost all its leaves with the warmth] and it is producing new leaves.

I chopped it right back earlier this week, so it will be interesting to see how it grows now it is getting warmer.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                    My overwintered Alberto Rocoto is now back outdoors [it was only indoors from christmas until last week and it lost all its leaves with the warmth] and it is producing new leaves.

I chopped it right back earlier this week, so it will be interesting to see how it grows now it is getting warmer.

When you say you chopped it right back,do you mean chopping to within a couple of inches from the soil or taking off all/most of the side shoots leaving only the main stem?
                    Please explain
                    Thanks steve

Comment

The main stem is cut back to the 3rd joint from the base

There are 3 side stems and these are cut back to leave one joint on each.

It was about 6 feet wide at it's fullest. These types are not annuals, they will last about 3 years if overwintered well.

Comment

6 feet!!!!

The ones i overwintered were "apache" which are small window dwarf varieties.

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Yeah, it's a bit of a beast. Well, was!

This is it in December, after it had been chopped back in the Autumn....

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ers_25746.html
                          Last edited by zazen999; 02-04-2009, 10:40 AM.

Comment

They look great!
                            I had to read the thread to see if it was peppers or lights that were on it

As a newcomer i have bought a few different varieties of chillies this year but have NO idea the size they will grow to.
                            Hopefully at least one of them will grow to that sort of size.

Comment

Hi All,

I overwintered 6 chilli plants that i grew from seed last spring, unfortunatly 4 of them died but i have two left (either cayenne or jalapeno), they have both grown new leaves and one has a single flower on it (Looks lonely ) the only thing i am concerned about is some of the tips of the leaves on both plants are going brown- there is no sign of disease or pest so not sure what it is (the tips are brown on new and old leaves) but it is still growing lots of new leaves.

I was thinking maybe i over watered it so i have stopped watering it so much- waiting until the compost starts to dry abit where as i was watering it every week, i was also feeding it once a week so am going to do it every fortnight instead, i am also spraying it with water to put moisture on the leaves as i don't think theres enough moisture in the air (it sits on the floor by the window in my living room) and have also placed a small bowl of water next to it to add moisture to the air.

Does any one have any other thoughts as to why the tips are browning on my chilli plants?
                              My Album, Progress so Far: -
                              http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ss-so-far.html

Comment

I have 1 overwintered plant of Cheyenne which is bursting into growth, but it was in my porch that has the heating boiler in it. I lost 3 others.
                                Mad Old Bat With Attitude.

I tried jogging, but I couldn't keep the ice in my glass.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X