No announcement yet.

Overwinter chilli plants?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HotStuff and Danmon,thanks for your answers.My Georgia Flame decided to ripe the rest of the fruit.No infestation with any bugs so far,fingers crossed.If any occurs,I'll strip them off the leaves and leave bare stems.

Comment

• Chillies in greenhouse

There are a couple of chilli plants in the greenhouse, about 4-5ft tall, with many fruits on them.

The leaves are dying but the fruits haven't ripened yet.

Can anyone advise what to do with them?

Comment

• Hi Yorky, there is a thread on here about overwintering chillis. I have brought my peppers indoors & are ripening nicely.
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

• I picked mine and brought them indoors.

Comment

• Ended up chopping all of the chili plants yesterday, flatmates were getting annoyed and they had starte spreading into other plants around the house.

I'm not gonna chop down anyting else though - so I've got some neem and gnat off, plus gonna lay an inch of sand on top of all of my indoor plants how to stop them laying eggs. Then leave some oil/honey traps to capture the last adults!

What a pain though, I was hoping to keep some of my chili plants over winter, but next year eh ?

Hope everyone else's get off to a better winter than mine! And if you see any bugs, KILL THEM FAST!

Comment

• Mine are on the bathroom windowledge ripening up nicely.
              I do feel a bit odd nipping int the loo for a chilli though

Comment

• Originally posted by CaroltheCarrot View Post
                I do feel a bit odd nipping int the loo for a chilli though
                I think it sounds kinda sweet.......telling your other half you're just nipping t' loo for a chilli........
                sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                --------------------------------------------------------------------
                Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                -------------------------------------------------------------------
                Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                -----------------------------------------------------------
                KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

• Originally posted by buzzingtalk View Post
                  Ended up chopping all of the chili plants yesterday, flatmates were getting annoyed and they had starte spreading into other plants around the house.

I'm not gonna chop down anyting else though - so I've got some neem and gnat off, plus gonna lay an inch of sand on top of all of my indoor plants how to stop them laying eggs. Then leave some oil/honey traps to capture the last adults!

What a pain though, I was hoping to keep some of my chili plants over winter, but next year eh ?

Hope everyone else's get off to a better winter than mine! And if you see any bugs, KILL THEM FAST!
                  ???

Bugs are best managed by other bugs - so if you have bugs either prevent them by watering from the bottom [fungus gnats like the top of the soil to be damp], by using grit to keep them off or by putting them outside on warmish days for food for other insects. I very rarely ever actually kill bugs these days, I let the ladybirds come and get them. The only time I do is when I have cabbage white caterpillars, but if you net your brassicas properly then it keeps the levels down.

Pop your pots outside for a few days during the day and watch the bug levels drop.

Comment

• Mine are still ripening in the greenhouse, but if we have a cold spell then I'll have to find somewhre inside to put them. I'm not going to overwinter any this year as I had better crops from the spring sown ones.
                    Mad Old Bat With Attitude.

I tried jogging, but I couldn't keep the ice in my glass.

Comment

• It looks like one of my overwintering chilli plants has died, its losing all its leaves
                      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Just trim it back Bren - it could come back. Is it green when you scrape the stem low down?
                        Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

• That's what I'm hoping for Jeanied.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
                            It looks like one of my overwintering chilli plants has died, its losing all its leaves
                            It will do, they are deciduous
                            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

• I've got 4 in the kitchen window and only one's lost its leaves up to yet so I'm hoping it will pick up next year and not die on me.

Comment

• well mine are still putting on growth....i've cut back a bit (no where near as much as last year)....still got a Fatalii on there waiting to go in a Ruby! So lots of touching wood some will last!! Im repotting this week with fresh West +!!

I think last year being on the window cill in the kitchen had to much of a variable drop/ rise in temperature so they're on the table near the radiator and window this time.
                                Impossible is not a fact its an opinion...
                                Impossible is not a decleration its a dare...
                                Impossible is potential......

www.danmonaghan.co.uk

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X