No announcement yet.

Broad Beans: over-wintering advice

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=smallblueplanet;144691]We grew spring bbeans last year and they were delicious, just not enough of them! Never grown them before so have some questions please....just want the most earliest beans possible!

I found the same thing on my first year- just not enough! Last year I put some in to overwinter and from spring sowed about every 2 weeks for the maximum cropping time. I had several varieties and 8 rows. Do put a few in pots or extras at the end with the overwinter ones to fill in any gaps in the rows. I had a lovely crop, ate my fill and put 4 bags in the freezer- it's only me that eats them so that should last me nicely. I also sprayed the plants in spring with strong garlic water-most bugs dont seem to like it. I took 4 plants tips off in 8 rows with blackfly, the rest had hardly any. Next year its a big crop of garlic too!

Comment

Thanks for all the comments - if anything it sounds as if I have started mine too early as they might be a little tall for overwintering - but will carry on regardless

On a more important subject - ways to eat them I would recommend if you have a glut next year to make broad bean hummus, just simmer/steam till tender, then remove the outer skin of each bean. Then mash with parmesan and olive oil to create a bright green paste you can have on toast. Good use of the slightly older beans.

VF

Comment

Yum ! Isn't falafel made from broad beans too ?
        http://www.greenlung.blogspot.com
        http://www.myspace.com/rolandfrompoland

Comment

Ooohhh ooohhh, I love hummus - never thought of doing it with broadies. Hope I get a glut now!!!!!
          Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Traditional hummus is basically chickpeas and tahini (sesame seas paste) - according to my dear wife

The best thing about the broad bean variety is offering it to friends without telling them what it is - they very rarely guess, and when you do tell them they usually say 'but i don't like broad beans' after having devoured lots

Comment

My Aquadulce are now just poking through, sown 17/10. Do they need any protection? have I seen in a book, cut lemonade bottles over them like mini cloches? The plot is not in a sheltered position at all.
              Oneflewovers Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Vegetarian Fox View Post
                Traditional hummus is basically chickpeas and tahini (sesame seas paste)
                Compost is a mixture of organic materials which decay into a dark soil-like mass, also called hummus
                nice on toast!

http://www.stoke.gov.uk/ccm/navigati...me-composting/
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Stoke.gov.uk - don't you ever invite me to supper! Write in the margin 3 times - humus, humus, humus!
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I thought there was something funny about the taste, couldn't see what everyone was raving about!!
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by oneflewover View Post
                      My Aquadulce are now just poking through, sown 17/10. Do they need any protection? have I seen in a book, cut lemonade bottles over them like mini cloches? The plot is not in a sheltered position at all.
                      Hi Oneflower, Aquadulce are usually pretty hardy, I think 'The Sutton' are the slightly more tender ones but to be on the safe side if you get a lot of frost etc. where you are you could try either a polythene cloche stretched over some wires or canes or even as you've seen some cut off bottles over each, that might help protect them from slugs & snails as well until they get growing properly.
                      Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Originally posted by SueA View Post
                        Hi Oneflower, Aquadulce are usually pretty hardy, I think 'The Sutton' are the slightly more tender ones but to be on the safe side if you get a lot of frost etc. where you are you could try either a polythene cloche stretched over some wires or canes or even as you've seen some cut off bottles over each, that might help protect them from slugs & snails as well until they get growing properly.
                        Hi Sue, thanks for that, as a newbie to growing veg i'm treating all growth as children with all the usual concerns. They look so vulnerable
                        Oneflewovers Blog

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X