Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lebanese white bush marrow

Hi Grapes,

As the growing time is over, now is planning time for next year growing and seeds hunting too .

Has any grape experience in growing lebanese white bush marrow ?
    I am curious about it's growing habit plus it's taste. Is it worth to grow it ?
    Any reply is grapefully receive.

Many thanks,
    Momol
    I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Hi Momol. sorry I haven't grown these but they sound interesting. From what I've read about them they're cream, oblong, tasty, suitable for frying or baking, picked when about 7 inches long & take about 50-55 days to grow to maturity. Here's a couple of links, one is to 'Seeds by Size' who sell them , but not sure if that's only in U.K., the other's to a site which has rated them as 5 star- so pretty good!

http://www.seeds-by-size.co.uk/squash98.html (scroll down to part 3 summer squash)
    http://vegvariety.cce.cornell.edu/ma...ESC&searchIn=1
    Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Hi Momol
      I grew them last year, much preferred them, creamy white flesh, almost avocado like, very delicious. Grew some more this year, but plants were too big when I took them up the allotment and damaged them beyond repair so had to fall back on "ordinary" courgettes which were nowhere near as good.
      don't know if it was the hot weather last year, but one plant kept me busy in the kitchen, trying to think up new ways to cook them.
      I've got my seed to grow some more next year. Mine are from Real Seeds and it's called Trieste White Half-Long Cousa Courgette.
      And they describe it as Bulbous courgette, orginally from the mid-East. Very pale green, almost steel gray. Strong bushes, quick and early with high production.
      Would recommend it.
      best wishes
      Sue

Comment

Hi Sue A and Sue,

Thanks greatly for the recommendations yippy, will hunt the seed for next year...
        I read about it somewhere on the American website too, it was on " master gardener " and the Lebanese white bush marrow is one of their recommendation there ( for taste, texture, productivity and it's compact growing habit).
        But again I need some kind of confirmation from the grape who ever grown it and taste it...
        I am planning to grow something different from the normal courgette ( don't like it's green odour ).
        Again, many thanks to both of you

Momol
        I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

I want to revive this thread as the Lebanese variety courgettes deserve more discussions, methinks for their flavour.

The problem is that it does seems like you have to literally chop off your hands to acquire one, one would think they'd have to float them on the stock exchange. Only a small handful of seed suppliers are offering them and those who do, you have to work up a bigger order just to have the privilege of buying them . These are Real Seeds (they run out on one though), Bakker and Seeds by Size

If your're looking for something that is Lebanese courgette, google check using words like
          Summer Squash Magda
          Cousa Lebanese
          long white bush
          white volunter
          white courgette
          Zucchini Bianco di Trieste
          Trieste white
          various variety names like Clarita, Clarimore, Clarion?? and Magda

Anybody stopping by the Middle East, get the seeds, you could become a millionaire! Okay I'm very frustrated .
          Last edited by veg4681; 24-01-2008, 01:28 PM.
          Food for Free

Comment

Clarita

From Marshall, but £1.75 for 10 seeds plus £1.25 p&p.

Lebanese-Zucchini-15-Seeds

From ebay.aus
            Last edited by smallblueplanet; 24-01-2008, 11:13 AM.
            To see a world in a grain of sand
            And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post

From Marshall, but £1.75 for 10 seeds plus £1.25 p&p.
              Thanks I know already. I ordered one (still not my 1st choice) after the Real Seeds order fell through and even they only had my 2nd choice of Lebanese courgette! Pity your usual eBay Dave doesn't appear to stock that either. I may in future only grow white courgettes (thus my urgency to try them out this year) and ditch the standard dark green ones. I shall be ordering from Dave's next year (wanna share ).
              Last edited by veg4681; 24-01-2008, 11:19 AM.
              Food for Free

Comment

I'm gonna put a 'Dave's' order in today probably, but again by next year......!

I'll be interested in hearing how the lebanese courgettes compare, we grow cocozelle and striato d'italia (recommended by Carole Klein apparently!), both older varieties.

Did you see that I edited my 1st post and put an ebay link in?
                Last edited by smallblueplanet; 24-01-2008, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Interesting thread, I'd never heard of 'Lebanese' courgettes before, now I'm wondering whether to give them a try...
                  D'you think these from T&M might be similar? Courgette : Cavili F1 Hybrid

Comment

Originally posted by Sue
                    ....I grew them last year, much preferred them, creamy white flesh, almost avocado like, very delicious. Grew some more this year, but plants were too big when I took them up the allotment and damaged them beyond repair so had to fall back on "ordinary" courgettes which were nowhere near as good.

Mine are from Real Seeds and it's called Trieste White Half-Long Cousa Courgette.

And they describe it as Bulbous courgette, orginally from the mid-East. Very pale green, almost steel gray. Strong bushes, quick and early with high production.
                    When you look this up it seems to be also known as "ZUCCHINI BIANCO DI TRIESTE" and on quick googling is easy to find.

Comment

When you look this up it seems to be also known as "ZUCCHINI BIANCO DI TRIESTE" and on quick googling is easy to find.
                      Damn, they're loads cheaper but has anyone tried this site before? Based in Oxfordshire.

eSeeds.com - Cucurbita maxima 'Bianco Di Trieste'
                      Food for Free

Comment

Or these from Seeds of Italy?

COURGETTE LUNGO BIANCA OF SICILY 'Long White of Sicily'

edit - never used eseeds.com but seen 'around' when googling. Not sure (have never looked) how they are able to 'stock' all those seed merchants stuff, maybe they just order on your behalf?
                        Last edited by smallblueplanet; 24-01-2008, 11:52 AM.

Comment

I don't know if it's the right one but Wilko do a squash selection with 'Lebanese' in it. Middle bottom in the pic:

Johnsons Distinctive Seed Collection Summer Squashes at Wilkinson Plus
                          I was feeling part of the scenery
                          I walked right out of the machinery
                          My heart going boom boom boom
                          "Hey" he said "Grab your things
                          I've come to take you home."

Comment

Or these from Seeds of Italy?

COURGETTE LUNGO BIANCA OF SICILY 'Long White of Sicily'

edit - never used eseeds.com but seen 'around' when googling. Not sure (have never looked) how they are able to 'stock' all those seed merchants stuff, maybe they just order on your behalf?
                            I did see that one from Seeds of Italy but was put off by the picture showing somewhat long courgettes...not too keen. I prefer compact fruits. I was able to order other really nice stuffs from Marshall that nobody would have for swapping anyway .

Yes eseeds sell on behalf of other suppliers and maybe that courgette sells for 10p in Italy as they're strangely one of the cheapest veggie they've got .
                            Food for Free

Comment

Originally posted by Seahorse View Post
                              I don't know if it's the right one but Wilko do a squash selection with 'Lebanese' in it. Middle bottom in the pic:

Johnsons Distinctive Seed Collection Summer Squashes at Wilkinson Plus
                              Thanks Seahorse, that sure is the right one but too many to buy just to get the Lebanese courgette! Told you you'd have to chop your hands off to lay your hands on one .

Definitely the eseeds is the best value but you'll have to find out what the minimum order is, not specified anywhere...so still must be a catch somewhere, you bet!
                              Food for Free

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X