No announcement yet.

Seed sowing

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All my root crops and more than half of my brassica's and legumes are sown outdoors!

I find that the plants sown outdoors make stronger healthier plants than those sown indoors! If soil conditions and temperature are right they will romp away!

The first year I had an allotment I didn't have a greenhouse and everything was sown in situ! I had an area which I used as a seedbed for brassicas mainly and they grew strong and healthy. I was using Netto's 19p a packet seeds so I was sowing the whole packet each time..............I must have supplied about a dozen allotment holders with good healthy brassica plants sown outdoors that year!

I know the general consensus is for pot grown plants brought on indoors but please don't knock what our ancestors have used for thousands of years with much success.

Anyone who doesn't have a greenhouse can still grow healthy plants using the outdoor seedbed method!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I thoroughly agree with your sentiments about sowing your seed in situ. If this is the method you favour may i suggest you sow a row of radish along side your seed or even mix with the seed you are sowing. These radish germinate quickly and will let you see where you have sown your crop.
      For myself, mostly i sow in modules in the greenhouse, especially onions. Sow four or five per module and when you are planting out plant the whole module without deviding as they will push against each other and find their own space.

And when your back stops aching,
      And your hands begin to harden.
      You will find yourself a partner,
      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X