Autumn onions

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autumn onions

Bought onions a couple of months back did not have time to use them can I plant now or can I use these in the spring.

Thanks

marion

I would still plant them now, preferably in modules in a greenhouse! I did this yesterday with some I found whilst tidying the GH, some of which were planted very close together to be used as spring onions!

No idea of how they would grow if planted in the spring as I think their growth is govened by day length? Anyway, onion sets are that cheap, I would rather use the space for proper spring sown sets that will give a guaranteed harvest.
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Following on from Snadgers suggestion, by planting several to a pot you can stop watering and turn the pot on its side to dry them out when they are a size for either pickling or big enough to roast. You can even let them brown off naturaly to give small onions for quick use as autumn sown onions dont store particularly well compared to traditional types.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X