Steps back in amazement

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steps back in amazement

Caulis are one of my very fave veg and I tried so hard to grow them this year! To no avail... slugs, pigeons, bad weather and general numpty newbie incompetance led to no harvest whatsover. I threw them all on the compst in disgust weeks ago. However, I noticed that there was one rogue one (where I didn't even recall planting it!) so I left it, more from not feeling any incentive to deal with it until next year than any expectation it might grow. I had noticed it was developing alarmingly large leaves BUT! I wandered down the garden today to find that it had not only formed curds but they were pretty much big enough to harvest! What a lovely suprise!

All round to mine for cauliflower cheese next week!

I was feeling part of the scenery
    I walked right out of the machinery
    My heart going boom boom boom
    "Hey" he said "Grab your things
    I've come to take you home."

Fantastic! Love home-grown cauli. The only time we managed (partly) successfully was when we grew them in an environmesh 'cage'. Someone later told us you fold the big leaves over to protect the curds. We've not grown any since so I don't know if it works or not.
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

What an interesting turnout! I've seen tomato growing by the kitchen drain pipe outside. You can't say no to free tomatoes, can you?
      Food for Free

Comment

Looks fab, cauli's all year round are my major project next year. Hopefully ill be getting a mini propogator for christmas to start them off!
        Vegmonkey and the Mrs. - vegetable gardening in a small space in Cheltenham at www.vegmonkey.co.uk

Comment

Brilliant Seahorse. Yes caulies are fussy. I had good success with them this year, but never had before. There seems to be a story that they do well in the company of other caulies - thus why farmers can grow them in fields - but they won't do well in mixed plantings - don't like to be beside foreign neighbours. Don't think it explains your rogue caulie, but glad you got it and good luck for next year. And thanks for the pic.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Alice View Post
            There seems to be a story that they do well in the company of other caulies - thus why farmers can grow them in fields - but they won't do well in mixed plantings - don't like to be beside foreign neighbours.
            Really I wonder why. So even Cabbages and Brussel Sprouts are foreigners? Hmmmm...I'm not so sure I like them fussy caulis! Mind you, I've seen them grown to big pumpkin size in third world countries where there is no supermarket dictated size.
            Food for Free

Comment

It may be that they do better surrounded by friends!!
              Originally posted by veg4681 View Post
              Mind you, I've seen them grown to big pumpkin size in third world countries where there is no supermarket dictated size.
              Thats how they are in Bulgaria, great taste but not worth growing ourselves when they are available for pennies in the market. I must find out what the BGNS do with them. I know that lots get pickled.

Tip for any UK bottlers: In BG they use very little vinegar and certainly not the 'none brewed condiment' that mascarades for vinegar. Wine vinegar.

Phreddy

Comment

wicked!! WELL DONE YOu!
                Cyanara

Comment

Ooohhh, well done!! I just lurrrve caulis!! Enjoy!
                  Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

What an excitement Seahorse, well done

Momol
                    I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

I used Rhubab water or Comfrey water on mine and had less damage than next door and managed to get a canny crop, wildlife dos'nt seem to like the smell or taste.
                      Only trouble is heavy rain washes it off.
                      All the best to all
                      Fred P

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X