Giant parsnip

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giant parsnip

I was in my local farmshop the other day and they had huge parsnips. For some reason I forgot to ask an assistant what variety they were. I swear I'm not exaggerating when I say these were over 12" long and at the widest part of the cone up to 6" in diameter

Anybody know what variety these might be?
    http://plot62.blogspot.com/

Originally posted by Matt. View Post
    I was in my local farmshop the other day and they had huge parsnips. For some reason I forgot to ask an assistant what variety they were. I swear I'm not exaggerating when I say these were over 12" long and at the widest part of the cone up to 6" in diameter

Anybody know what variety these might be?
    Some of my parsnips were certainly that length & were 4" across the top & weighed over 1lb each variety? sorry can't remember what Madderbat set this year.
    The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
    Brian Clough

Comment

Here's one I grew earlier.....

Seriously, ALL my parsnips are this size or bigger! Certainly 6" across the top - and about 18" long - not a bit woody and fabulous as mash or roasted!

Now that's got you drooling!

The variety is White Gem, they were direct sown on 24 Feb, didn't sprout until 7 Apr (that's 6 weeks!) and I had the first one out 8 Sep (28wks sow to harvest). Got loads left as the germination was good too - beginners luck, I suspect!

Hope this helps!
      Attached Files

Comment

*making notes*

I have to ask though Hazel, what is the head-on-a-stick just behind you?
        I was feeling part of the scenery
        I walked right out of the machinery
        My heart going boom boom boom
        "Hey" he said "Grab your things
        I've come to take you home."

Comment

I don't think the variety matters Matt. I grew some which were billed as baby veg. I think the variety was Idol. Anyway, I am still lifting very enormous parsnip. I think it just depends on how long you leave them in the ground. Just enjoy them.
          Attached Files

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Seahorse View Post
            I have to ask though Hazel, what is the head-on-a-stick just behind you?
            LOL! A ball of string ona stick! If you want frightening head-on-a-stick, here's Belinda Scarecrow...
            Attached Files

Comment

It's the teenage trauma of 'Salem's Lot' all over again!!!
              I was feeling part of the scenery
              I walked right out of the machinery
              My heart going boom boom boom
              "Hey" he said "Grab your things
              I've come to take you home."

Comment

It's been my best year for parsnips too. Pre-germination is the most fabulous tip that I picked up on here. I shall certainly do it again - also saving all my loo-rolls for next year!
                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Wow thats great. Thanks to Hazel and Alice for the pictures, I'm very impressed! It just goes to show how fooled you can be by what the supermarket sells

Out of interest did you dig especially deep to loosen the soil or doing anything like that? Its incredible how long (deep) they have grown without forking. Mine didn't survive this year but the ones I pulled up in mid summer were very curly which I think is due to heavy soil and small stones. The ones in the farmshop had been grown in very sandy soil because they were still covered in the stuff so I'll be making a parsnip trench this year with added sand. Any other tips?

Comment

Another thought would carrots or any other similar root veg grow this big if left alone? I know the flavour might not be as good but growing giant carrots would be fab!

Comment

I just direct sowed my seed, Matt - the ground is not particularly sandy at the Hill (although I don't have anything to compare it to really )

I think that a big cause of forking with root veg is the ground being over manured - could that be the case with yours?

Haven't a clue about the carrots - I haven't got the knack of growing a carrot bigger than 4" which has not been mostly devoured by carrot fly.

Roll on Spring!

Comment

No manure for decades. My plot was reclaimed from the fields. It was once an allotment but that was years ago. Its quite stoney which I think is the problem. Its also got a high clay content. I have aquired some soil seives so I'll be trying these out to help matters.

Comment

Very impressed peeps - thanks for sharing! I have quite a few parsnips in the ground (saving them for christmas!) but none of them are going to be as big as those I'm sure, judging by the tops. Will have to try harder next year
                          Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Don't be too sure Moggsue. Mine don't look much to judge from the tops - but they are MASSIVE! Try one bfore Christmas.
                            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Ooo ooo I wanna go look now ... have to have a dig when I get home! Fingers crossed Flum!!

Love your wreath by the way!
                              Last edited by moggssue; 14-12-2007, 11:49 AM.
                              Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X