Sprouts? Convert me?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sprouts? Convert me?

My only real knowledge of sprouts is my Granny and my school serving up green golf balls! Therefore, I've always thought I don't like them. I've just been watching Rick Stein though and he says I've got it all wrong? If I grew and cooked them myself, could I/would I ever really like them?
    I was feeling part of the scenery
    I walked right out of the machinery
    My heart going boom boom boom
    "Hey" he said "Grab your things
    I've come to take you home."

I tried to grow them this year to answer that very question. No success though. Will try again next year. If you want a pinch of seed give me a shout!
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

Sprouts are supposed to be better with a touch of frost and like everything else will taste better if they are cooked soon after being picked.
      I love freshly picked carrots, cooked within a couple of hours of picking! Even left for one day out of the ground they become tasteless! Eaten fresh, veggies take on a new lease of life!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

oh how I love sprouts - even as a child, but then my father was a 1st class gardener and produced THE best stuff ...... miss you Dad

Anyway, to cook - DO NOT boil the bejesus out of them, I steam them for about 7-10 mins (max!), perfect! You need resistence when the knife goes in.

Have a word with Wellie/Trousers -I hear they have just produced stunning purple ones of which I will surely be trying
        aka
        Suzie

Comment

Yes I think you could like them Seahorse. Try like this. Take your fresh sprouts and simmer in chicken stock for about 5 mins.
          In a sautee pan, melt a little butter, sautee some lardons (or cut up bacon) baby shallots and anything else you like. Tip in the cooked sprouts and roll them around a bit.
          Put the whole lot in a well buttered oven dish. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs, grated parmesan or any cheese you like, dot with butter and pop in the oven until warm through and toasted on the top. Definately beats plain boiled sprouts.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

sprouts are yummy!
            enough water to cover the bottonm of the pan with a centimeter of water, a knob of butter and some thin strips of bacon, cook with the lid on for 7-8 mins mmmmmmmmm
            I do the cross on the bottom of big ones but leave small ones alone.

or try slicing fine and adding to your salads, or on a ham and mustard sarnie.
            Yo an' Bob
            Walk lightly on the earth
            take only what you need
            give all you can
            and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

I just can't understand how people can eat sprouts, I've tried them raw, steamed, boiled, I've tried fresh ones and frozen sprouts from the supermarket and they all still taste disgusting. At least no one can say I havn't tried!
              I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Originally posted by terrier View Post
                I just can't understand how people can eat sprouts, I've tried them raw, steamed, boiled, I've tried fresh ones and frozen sprouts from the supermarket and they all still taste disgusting. At least no one can say I havn't tried!
                Tried them curried yet?
                The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
                Brian Clough

Comment

I quite like them now from time to time, but hated them when I was younger.

Used to eat a plateful with curry powder or chilli powder sprinkled on top as part of my diets!!!!( well it was surprising how quickly I'd lose the feeling for impulse nibbling when a bowl of them sat staring back at me from the fridge!!!)

Such a pity I'd never eaten home grown ones back in those days.

(and no ...the diets never really worked for long!)
                  "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

When Mum used to cook them for us as children, I remember distinctly being able to swallow them whole as they'd been cooked to within an inch of their lives.

I'm hopeful that I'll have some ready for Christmas dinner - I've got bugger all (unless you count my onions) to offer the table this year.

I concur with the butter and bacon suggestions above - along with a sprinkling of black pepper.

Parp.
                    A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Love sprouts but preferably smallish ones and only lightly cooked. Tend to steam mine for a few minutes and eat them whilst they are still nice and bright - if you leave them to go greyish then you might as well throw them straight away. Usually just have them simply but last Christmas Day, steamed them until almost cooked then plunged them into cold water to stop them cooking. Just before I wanted them I melted some butter in a frying pan, toasted some almond slices and then added the sprouts which had been cut in half. Really nice and not as faffy as some of the bacon based dishes - don't do faff on Christmas day!

Oh, and one other thing, always cook extra and then mash them into some potatoes for bubble and squeak the next day - really good.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

The only way I can consider eating them is thinly sliced - with a few thinly sliced shallots, lightly stir fried (need to be hot but crunchy and the slicing means it doesn't take long) then add slivered almonds. Gorgeous. And doesn't taste anything like boiled sprouts. However, if I do them like this for Christmas dinner I get complaints from the 'I like boiled sprouts' brigade. Therefore, in order not to have to do 2 lots, they'll have my home grown kale (and like it!)

Determined cook.
                        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I concur on the frying...

I have never liked sprouts, but I wanted to keep trying different ways of cooking them...

... finally a couple of years ago I did the sliced sprouts, stir fried with bacon and shallots.

And they tasted pleasant.

Remember that sometimes, no matter how you cook them, they will be bitter. That's not about how you cook them, but the sprout itself. In theory, growing your own should allow you pick early, fresher sprouts without this characteristic.

Comment

OH doesn't really do sprouts but I make him have some on Christmas Day as it doesn't seem right not too - are at mum's this year and she is of the same idea so I must have got it off her!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I love them fried or baked but NOT plain boiled to within an inch of their lives!! Havent tried growing them yet, but they're high on the list for next year. Thanks for starting a great thread btw Seahorse, some lovely sounding recipes coming along, now which to chose first ....
                              Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X