Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'Sensible' things to plant asap - indoors or unheated greenhouse?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Sensible' things to plant asap - indoors or unheated greenhouse?

Having read here that it can be impractical to start off too many heat lovers early (because you run out of heated space before the days get warm enough for them to manage on their own) I'm wondering what I could plant in the next few days/weeks, either indoors on the windowsills or outdoors in an unheated greenhouse, without it all coming back to bite me on the b*m?

I would really like to start a few bits off on New Years Day, just for fun. It won't be the end of the world if nothing succeeds but I might as well go with 'best options'.

Any/all advice gratefully recieved
    I was feeling part of the scenery
    I walked right out of the machinery
    My heart going boom boom boom
    "Hey" he said "Grab your things
    I've come to take you home."

I think leeks and onions are okay to start in January
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

Seeds to please.

House plant seeds..? Coleus are easy, and nice.

Streptocarpus or Begonia leaf cuttings.
      Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

I'd go for peas and/or broad beans.

Comment

Sweet Peas

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0100.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	2320083Peashoots on the windowsill Seahorse. Just plant your peas shoulder to shoulder in pots and eat the shoots - they taste like fresh peas.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

You could shove some sweet pea seeds in pots or modules. Early colour and scent. Loverley!
              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

In my seeds spreadsheet, I can see basil, chilli and certain aubergine (but under heated glass).
                Food for Free

Comment

Thanks folks! Have sorted through my seed packets and am now ridiculously excited!
                  I was feeling part of the scenery
                  I walked right out of the machinery
                  My heart going boom boom boom
                  "Hey" he said "Grab your things
                  I've come to take you home."

Comment

I've sown Kelsae Onions, Mammoth Pot Leeks, Ham Onions and Red Ham Onions today! All in individual compartments 1/4 the size of a seed tray. Just stuck em into the propagator on the window sill in a S/E facing bedroom.
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Am going to sow some alpine strawberries at some point over the next few days, the packet says later but a friend of mine grew hers at this time a few years ago and said it gave them a good head start - will wait and see, haven't grown them before but want them for a window box later in the year. Apart from that, agree with the comments above re peas, broad beans, some herbs, sweet peas and chillies.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Good luck with the strawbs, Alison. I have had some success in the past, but they can be little blighters.

I have two tiny weeny seedlings so far (sown in December) out of about a dozen seeds.

True wild strawbs appear easier that hybrids, for some unknown reason!

Of course, my friend can grow them without any problems at all, dammit

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X