Best outdoor tomato?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best outdoor tomato?

I haven't grown these before but with no access to a greenhouse I have no choice - any ideas on best ones to try?
    Last edited by piskieinboots; 01-01-2008, 04:50 PM.
    aka
    Suzie

Sungold have done well for me outdoors 2 years in a row, they're cherry sized, orange & very sweet, and produce loads

Comment

cheers Sarah, will give them a go
      aka
      Suzie

Comment

We grow most of our numerous tomato varieties outdoors, find a few varieties you fancy trying and give 'em a go. Or ask here if folk have grown them outdoors.
        To see a world in a grain of sand
        And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Grew Red Alert last year for the first time and they were brilliant, didn't sow them until April and they still ripened as early as the some of my greenhouse crops. A really nice tasting sweet fruit, quite small but well worth growing bush tom. Will be growing them again this year. Cropped really well, ended up with so many toms on each plant that they needed to be supported.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

'Outdoor Girl', is that a clue in the name? Sorry haven't grown it myself but had thought of getting the seeds.
            Food for Free

Comment

Don't have much joy with outdoor tomatoes in my area, but I have managed to cosset some of my favourite tomatoes, Gardeners Delight through before I aquired a greenhouse!
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Mini Orange did well for me Piskie. South facing site in Scotland in a really awful summer, so you should be in with a chance. I'll be growing them again. Good luck and I'll be looking for other suggestions.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I'll second the recommendation for Red Alert. 'Tis a really flavourful tom, a bit bigger than cherry, no side-shooting required and has always done really well for us.
                  Last edited by Flummery; 02-01-2008, 10:59 AM. Reason: sp
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Tried several varieties outside last year and they all sucumbed to the dreaded blight. May try again this year if I can find a secluded spot.

Comment

All ours went down with blight too gojiberry, the greenhouse ones were okay for longer, but there's only so much room in there! Hope for better weather, oh and try some black toms lots of them seem to do okay outside?
                      To see a world in a grain of sand
                      And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

gojiberry - it wasn't personal with the blight, just about every gardener I know was slapped with it here's to a better year for us all
                        aka
                        Suzie

Comment

Could I suggest 'Ferline'? It's probably on a par with the likes of 'Ailsa Craig', which my 'Elderly Next Door' has sworn by for the last 54 years, but hey! Ferline has some resistence to the dreaded Blight? and, having grown it myself for the last two years, I can promise you, the taste rivals ANY tomato I've grown, inside OR out....
                          and unlike the cherry toms, which are great for salads and stuff, Ferline is dead big enough for slicing into 'Man Sandwiches', and Trousers would second that.....

Comment

I've never tried man on me sandwich. What do they taste of?
                            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by wellie View Post
                              'Man Sandwiches'.....
                              you're in the wrong forum hun hehehehehe
                              aka
                              Suzie

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...