Best outdoor tomato?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jeannine View Post
    Years ago I planted some small yellow pear tomato seeds outside on my old allotment and they were incredibly prolific. I must have put the old plants on my compost heap because somehow some seeds got into my garden and now every year at least two or three self-seeded plants pop up, and I get a good crop. The taste is lovely and sharp but the texture is a bit mushy. Does anyone know what the variety might be? Sadly I don't remember, and i don't know if other yellow pear types are as easy to grow. I'd recommend them if you want a bumper harvest, but make sure you pick every one or they'll self-seed and play havoc with your crop rotation!
    I'm sure they're still called Yellow Pear tomato (on the small size possibly) . They have good reports on being reliable and profilic lot and also come highly recommended for cooler climate countries with shorter Summer. Something to try for me personally sometime.
    Food for Free

Comment

Sarzwix, you star. Am dashing home cos I'm dead late tonight, but I will send you a pm either over the weekend (should I by a miracle get webtime) or else on Monday (when I am back at work and know I will!!).

Must have a better look in the catalogues too - thanks peeps. Plum or paste....note to self...

Comment

I have always found Alicante to be a good tomato. It can be grown in the greenhouse or outdoors. It is very reliable.

And when your back stops aching,
        And your hands begin to harden.
        You will find yourself a partner,
        In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Winged one View Post
          Sarzwix, you star. Am dashing home cos I'm dead late tonight, but I will send you a pm either over the weekend (should I by a miracle get webtime) or else on Monday (when I am back at work and know I will!!).

Must have a better look in the catalogues too - thanks peeps. Plum or paste....note to self...
          No worries I look on here at least once a day...ok maybe twice ...so should get them posted by Tuesday

Comment

Our favourite for the last 10 years has been Broad Ripple Yellow Currant - a bush growth, blight resistant cherry tomato, yellow, thin skinned, sweet, prolific, long season, great for summer salads (although last time we grew it we lost most of them to the light fingers of my then 18 month old daughter!).

We got our original seeds from the Heritage Seed Library, but thanks to a tip off on this very site we got fresh seed this year from Chileseeds.com

Enjoy!

Comment

SarzWix, I just wanted to say Thanks - your seeds arrived on Friday (wasn't on since) and I am looking forward to sowing them in a few weeks time.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X