Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lemon Squash please...

Hello Grapes,

Has anyone grown Lemon Squash before ? I fall in love with it... sooo pretty and cute ....

How is his growing habit ?
    Is it a cucurbita pepo too ?
    How is his taste ?

Many thanks in advance,

Momol
    I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Are you referring to Gem Squash also known as Rolet? South Africans also call them lemoenpampoen, (directly tranlated to mean orange pumpkin), which is what I would think could cause confusion.

In any case, if it is the same thing then yes ...

I grow them every year, They are of trailing habit. As to the taste - I guess it depends what you like. I personally think they taste far better than butternut squash or traditional pumpkin.

You harvest them on the plant when the skins are still green, but they will eventually turn orange in storage. I still have a bunch left from harvest in October - had to prepare about 15 of them for Christmas lunch

Can you get hold of the seeds in the Netherlands? It was very difficult to get hold of them in the UK before, but I see &M are selling them now. They would probably grow quite well in Limburg.
    Last edited by ysb33r; 02-01-2008, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Or this....?

Good luck growing it!
      A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Originally posted by ysb33r View Post
        Are you referring to Gem Squash also known as Rolet? South Africans also call them lemoenpampoen, (directly tranlated to mean orange pumpkin), which is what I would think could cause confusion.

In any case, if it is the same thing then yes ...

I grow them every year, They are of trailing habit. As to the taste - I guess it depends what you like. I personally think they taste far better than butternut squash or traditional pumpkin.

You harvest them on the plant when the skins are still green, but they will eventually turn orange in storage. I still have a bunch left from harvest in October - had to prepare about 15 of them for Christmas lunch

Can you get hold of the seeds in the Netherlands? It was very difficult to get hold of them in the UK before, but I see &M are selling them now. They would probably grow quite well in Limburg.
        They are really called Lemon squash Ysb. Have a look at this seeds vendor:

Lemon Squash Squash - Summer Heirloom Seeds - Rareseeds.com Catalog

Plus will attach the picture copy from other seeds company ( hope they don't sue me for borrowing their picture...)

Momol
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks HW, will drink them instead Ha ha ha...

Momol

Comment

Are they a summer squash then? Have you tried any other yellow summer squash, we grow a couple of the crooknecks (can't remember exact name at the mo.) they're very tasty.
            To see a world in a grain of sand
            And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

I am still looking for some crock neck summer squash, lebanese white bush marrow and perhaps some more surprise type ( you will never know...) yet got no more space, perhaps will just follow my heart and get them all from Baker Creek .

Yes the Lemon squash is include in summer squash.

Momol
              Last edited by momol; 02-01-2008, 06:28 PM.

Comment

I could send you some Early Prolific Straightneck, Early Summer Crookneck and Hubbard Blue Ballet? The yellow squash are out of date but still okay (well they were last year).

Comment

Manda,

Thank you, you are very generous .
                  I am really falling in love with this Lemon squash and will order them very soon...( similar like you were looking for the San Maezano tomato...) after looking around at Baker creek, I think will get around 10 type of seeds which means I will be entitled for 2 type of free gift seeds ( or 3 even) from them.
                  Again thanks for your kind offer... if there is any seeds you are looking for, let me know, I might have them...

Kind Regards,
                  Momol

Comment

Thanks for the offer momol - I better stop looking though. Perhaps that should be my New Years resolution - sensible seed-buying!

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
                      Thanks for the offer momol - I better stop looking though. Perhaps that should be my New Years resolution - sensible seed-buying!
                      Oh Manda, I have been telling my self to stop too but DH keep tempting me with new seeds... It will be my New Year seeds Present... but then in 2 months time will be valentine... OMG... help...

Momol
                      Last edited by momol; 02-01-2008, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by momol View Post
                        They are really called Lemon squash Ysb. Have a look at this seeds vendor:

Lemon Squash Squash - Summer Heirloom Seeds - Rareseeds.com Catalog

Plus will attach the picture copy from other seeds company ( hope they don't sue me for borrowing their picture...)

Momol
                        Ah OK. The one I was thinking of: Squash Seed 'Rolet' (Cucurbita pepo 'Rolet')

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X