Spring greens

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring greens

I apologise in advance for seeming a bit dumb, but when can you harvest Spring greens & do you cook them the same as ordinary cabbage?
    I was given some by a fellow plot holder & they are growing well, but just unsure what to do next
    Thanks

Spring cabbage for instance can be planted at half the recommended distance and every second plant can be harvested for spring greens allowing the other half to heart up as spring cabbage a bit later in the year. You just need to harvest the whole plant and cook it similar to spinach!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I am picking the outside leaves of my cabbages as and when, similar to how I pick lettuce. The remaining plant carries on growing that way
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I've been harvesting like Two Sheds up to a few weeks ago when they bulked up something amazing so now I'm alternately harvesting like Snadger. You can really just use your own discretion.
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I'm sure I read somewhere that you can keep picking the leaves and then cut the stem (as leaves start to go over) and then you get the stem sending out 'sprouts' as in baby cabbages.

Is that right or did I dream it?
          aka
          Suzie

Comment

My summer cabbages have done that, and it has provided a good source of brassicas.....for the pigeons.

Comment

bad pigeons
              aka
              Suzie

Comment

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
                bad pigeons
                Plump pigeons, just ready for the pot!
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Thanks for that.
                  Me & my sister are hoping to have a very productive plot this year, as we were very tentative last year with it all being fairly new to us. The thing i'm looking forward to most? The Rhubarb can be harvested at last! What a temptation that was last year!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X