Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propagator Sowing?

Hi All,

I intend to plant Strawberry seeds in my NEW propagator this weekend however my question being is there any benefit to sowing anything else this early, tomatoes, peppers, etc?

Regards………Broadway
    Cheers

Danny

I'm going to plant some chillies and aubergines in the next week or so also but unless you've got an awful lot of space and are able to provide the ongoing light / heat requirements then it's really not worth bothering with toms and I'm going to limit myself anyway. I know some people disagree but I find that it's not worth sowing the main stuff until about March and it pretty much catches up with earlier sowings.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I sowed my pepper seed on 31Jan last year in my heated propogator. I do think it made a difference to the chilli peppers which need a long seasons growth to produce at their best. However, i found it difficult to provide the light levels needed at that time of year. I found myself bringing them from the front window, to the back window ,to the conservatory down stairs and then back up .
      I suppose it was worth it on hindsight as i did get a good crop arriving early but i would'nt bother sowing anything else early.
      Only my opinion but good luck whatever you decide.

And when your back stops aching,
      And your hands begin to harden.
      You will find yourself a partner,
      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Unless you have the right conditions for growing on (warmth and really good light) I would say be patient and wait a bit. I know how you feel, though. It's the New Year and I am itching to get sowing.

Comment

i've planted some strawberries, cauliflowers and tomatoes in the propegator just last week... here's hoping!
          Cyanara

Comment

A lot of seedlings get very spindly if they grow in low light conditions, and as the first bit of growth is the main stem, you tend to end up with leggy plants which need a lot of support for the rest of their life.
            Quite a few grapes planted early last year....perhaps they can share their views on last years plants? ( bearing in mind it was a bad year anyway)

I agree that peppers and chillies need a long growing season- but apart from those , we don't sow seeds generally until Easter ( bit more time over the BH holiday weekend!). Very hard to resist...I know!
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

If you are sowing now, once the seedlings are through, try and keep the light high and the temp low (relatively, that is). Unless you are well prepared - with a big heated greenhouse or very bright heated conservatory, and some extra (real) light - you are bound to get leggy plants. The early days are easy, but it's a loooooooong time until spring and those plants will grow.

If you are starting things off inside, avoid very sunny windowsills (it is extremely easy to burn seedlings to death) or diffuse the light with some thin white paper. Try and make a reflector to go behind the plants to give them more even light. Some crumpled tin foil stuck on cardboard would do. Be prepared to turn your hand to a bit of DIY and having to move trays and pots around the home on a daily basis.

I've done it myself several times, and it has been a lot of work.

Comment

I've sown onions already, but only coz I want really BIG ones. Otherwise, peppers apart, I always leave everything as late as possible, it always catches up and you have fewer problems with late frosts outdoors or sudden plunges in temperature, which can affect plants even in a heated greenhouse.
                Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X