Low-maintenance veg tips

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low-maintenance veg tips

Having been on an allotment waiting list for 3 years I'm being proactive this year and making my own. There are several unused flowerbeds and bits of municipal wasteland that are crying out for veg. So... does anyone have any advice about plants that will grow well with little tending or weeding (I admit I'll have to do some, but I don't want to draw too much attention to myself!)

Jim

PS Hello Mother!

You could plant loads of spuds for a start, although the haulms would be pretty difficult to disguise once they grew in rows!
    I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Hello Son! At 6ft 8" how can you NOT draw attention to yourself?
      As you know, I favour septic-coloured things hanging on vines - no-one's going to try eating them! Purple podded beans and peas for eg - I'll let you have some plants in due season. In yer average British Summer they'll get enough water!
      There are quite a few low-growing herbs and such that you'd get away with. I'll be interested to hear what others reckon. Sprouts are too obvious!

Welcome to the Grapevine, it's full of friendly and knowledgeable people - and me!
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Hi Phantom, what about courgettes? Normally you get soooo many people don't want them off you, and don't need too much looking after when established?

Oh and other squashes?
        Last edited by smallblueplanet; 06-01-2008, 11:43 AM.
        To see a world in a grain of sand
        And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Hello Young Mr Flummery, pleased to make your aquaintance.

'fraid I don't know much about gardening - only just started meeself last year but I just wanted to say welcome to the Vine. Having said that - don't know if garlic needs much attention: it grows below ground and only has tall leaves showing that could be anything

Actually, your Mum seems to know ever such a lot but then.... I never much listened to my Mum either
          A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Hi and welcome to the vine. Good luck with your guerilla gardening.
            Happy Gardening,
            Shirley

Comment

Welcome to the vine, Mr Tallman .

I'm thinking the growing space is somewhat limited so I'm thinking leafy vegetables as I personally find them almost fail proof. Perpetual spinach, swiss chard, watercress and chinese/oriental leafy veg (Pak Choi, Choy Sum, Kailaan, edible Amaranth etc) but the chinese leaves cannot be used as 'cut and come again' which may not be cost effective for the space they occupy on your bed. Same thing with 'cut and come again' variety of lettuces and salad leaves. I personally like Romaine cos type lettuce which is fleshier than Lollo Rossa that is too thin or 'plasticky' for me.

Tomatoes are useful to have for that essential salad and you can grow them in pots but you could try and choose an outdoor/cooler weather variety if it's your first attempt and you want guaranteed success.

I think climbing veggies are useful for the relatively small space they occupy yet can give you bountiful crops. Think beans as in runner and French beans. We grew only two runner beans and just couldn't cope with them (2 adults and a child). If you can spare a space for courgette, I think they're worth it although they can take up a lot of space (however there are compact variety). Artichoke are ornamental looking that can pass off as garden shrub and they're perennial.

I don't know much about root veggies but they could be low maintenance, I'll let others advise on this. Chunky brassica (cauli, cabbage, broccoli, sprouts etc), not sure, too long growing and has issues with clubroot and white butterfly/caterpillar but if you must choose one, cabbage is the easiest one I think. And then there are mini veg varieties, veg with substantially shorter growing period that probably looks more like leafy veg.
              Last edited by veg4681; 06-01-2008, 12:12 PM.
              Food for Free

Comment

I would imagine you need stuff that doesn't look out of place and blends in with the surroundings. Garlic is a good example which has very little foliage as are pinches of carrots sown in a dry hedgerow. An odd potatoe stuck in among Dahlia plantings wouldn't be noticed too much. Jerusalem artichokes resemble sunflowers so could go at the back of someones border. Most non-gardeners wouldn't know a herb if they saw one so the likes of lemon balm, thyme, coriander could be tried. An odd french bean dotted here and there would probably go unnoticed as well!

Good luck, and if it all works out please post a few piccies to enthuse the rest of us!
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

If it's municipal, is it public access land? Is it likely to have noxious things sprayed/poured onto it? (weedkiller, urine etc) Or noxious stuff actually in the soil?

If not, go for it
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                    ................. noxious things sprayed/poured onto it? (weedkiller, urine etc).......................
                    We have had theads advocating using wee as a high nitro fertiliser but beware!!

Behind my hut is an enormous thistle which was flourishing. My experiment involved peeing on the centre of the thistle each time I got caught short to see if it would grow more or less. After about a month of peeing on it it is black and dead!
                    Ammonia(wee) or sulphate of anmmonia can be used as a fertiliser or a weedkiller, the knack is , getting the dosage right!

Sorry to hijack the thread!
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post

Ammonia(wee) or sulphate of anmmonia can be used as a fertiliser or a weedkiller, the knack is , getting the dosage right!
                      Anyway, why do we buy Ammonia when you can be more green with Pee for Free? .
                      Food for Free

Comment

Originally posted by PhantomVeg View Post
                        Having been on an allotment waiting list for 3 years I'm being proactive this year and making my own. There are several unused flowerbeds and bits of municipal wasteland that are crying out for veg. So... does anyone have any advice about plants that will grow well with little tending or weeding (I admit I'll have to do some, but I don't want to draw too much attention to myself!)

Jim

PS Hello Mother!
                        Guerilla Gardening! Excellent! As well as the above, how about things that don't look like recognisable (to most) veg at all? Good King Henry, Burdock, Alexanders, that kind of thing. I'd be happy to send you a few seeds, just PM me.

Behind my hut is an enormous thistle which was flourishing. My experiment involved peeing on the centre of the thistle each time I got caught short to see if it would grow more or less. After about a month of peeing on it it is black and dead!

Sorry to hijack the thread!
                        Aside from this being an image I didn't really want do you mean peeing on the plant itself? Surely it's the soil around it that would benefit? Or have I totally misunderstood
                        I was feeling part of the scenery
                        I walked right out of the machinery
                        My heart going boom boom boom
                        "Hey" he said "Grab your things
                        I've come to take you home."

Comment

There's a lot of wild alexanders around Phantom's neck of the woods. As to the wee-wee hijack - that's Snadger being Snadger! Experimental gardening you might call it.
                          Last edited by Flummery; 06-01-2008, 03:43 PM.
                          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Seahorse View Post
                            .............. do you mean peeing on the plant itself? Surely it's the soil around it that would benefit? Or have I totally misunderstood?
                            I peed on the plant but if you like I'll do another experiment peeing beside another one!

In all honesty, I don't think it would make much difference, the thistle would die because it, and it's roots were scalded by the neat ammonia methinks. It's similar to pouring weak sulphuric acid over it, or intensified acid rain !

Once again appologies for thread hijacking!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I peed on the plant but if you like I'll do another experiment peeing beside another one!
                              I think you should!
                              I was feeling part of the scenery
                              I walked right out of the machinery
                              My heart going boom boom boom
                              "Hey" he said "Grab your things
                              I've come to take you home."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...