Soil and feed for carrots - advice please

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
    I grew some Autumn King and some Chantenay carrots in buckets - planted in seived garden soil back in July. These were thoroughly enjoyed with Christmas dinner.

The question is, can I plant more carrots in the same soil? They are 10litre flower buckets and only grew about 8 carrots in each bucket. The garden soil is lovely loam which has grown nothing but nettle and bramble for at least 10 years previous to the carrots.

Should I add some type of feed or just throw the used soil back on the garden and try to dig and seive some 'fresh' to sow seeds in the greenhouse now for an early crop?
    Why don't you try half and half ie use new soil on some and beef up the old soil on others? That way you'll be able to come on the vine next year and educate us all!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
      Why don't you try half and half ie use new soil on some and beef up the old soil on others? That way you'll be able to come on the vine next year and educate us all!
      Now that is a good idea! Might try that thanks Snadger
      Happy Gardening,
      Shirley

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone - one plant per tube is definitely the way forward!

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
        am I right in thinking carrots are better with sand mixing into the compost?
        I would say yes. Last year almost all of my carrots were forked and I think it was because the soil was too heavy. This year I'm definitly going to try incorpoarating sand as well as seiving the soil.
        http://plot62.blogspot.com/

Comment

Do remember that the other reason for forking may be growing them in tubes in the first place. It happened to me.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X