Seeds sowing preparation

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeds sowing preparation

I'm feeling a bit 'panicky' and stressed out at the prospect of sowing so many seeds on the sort of scale I've never handled before. I've always used my own garden soil and homemade compost but I'm wondering if I'd be better off with bought seed compost. If I do buy one, which store has the best value one? Wilko? Do I need to go for the branded John Innes stuff, is it really worth it?

Also surely not all seeds need proper/premium seed compost, I'm thinking seeds that are biggish in size are less demanding, think spinach, swiss chard/leaf beet, beans, courgettes, squash...and lettuce and chinese leaves germinate like weeds anyway, however poor quality soil. And what's the big deal about perlite & vermiculite if there is any difference, do I really need it?

Okay I also don't have a heated propagator but I intend to use my boiler room for this purpose...easily temp of 20C or even higher with door closed. Have cleared shelves in there. Surely just covering the pots with cling film or clear plastic should be enough. For my pots, I intend to use lots of plastic punnets that I've been saving up. I like them because they're deeper in the hope of oviating the need to transplant seedlings too many times. Haven't bought myself those pot/seed label though thinking I'd always remember which is which plus you can already know what some veg seedlings look like.

I'm getting really worried because I also bought flower seeds for hanging baskets too....silly me I could murder myself. So are there anyone like me, asking the same questions of why I'm putting myself thru this.
    Last edited by veg4681; 08-01-2008, 06:22 PM.
    Food for Free

I personally never use John Innes for seed sowing, don't like it. What I do is ask my son for a bale of B & Q multipurpose compost for my birthday. I use that for all my seed sowing and it has always worked well. I do sieve it for fine seeds, and just take out or grind down the larger lumps for the rest. I sow a lot of my seeds in cell trays so they get planted out on the lottie with the minimum of disturbance. I can't remember the last time I used a full sized seed tray. Sometimes use three and a half inch pots and then thin out. Sowing is best done little and often.

Comment

Originally posted by veg4681 View Post
      Haven't bought myself those pot/seed label though thinking I'd always remember which is which plus you can already know what some veg seedlings look like..
      Definately mark the seedlings!!! You think you will remember but you don't. Don't get too stressed by it - you don't have to sow every seed in the packet.
      Happy Gardening,
      Shirley

Comment

Can't answer all your questions but must agree that it is quite daunting to look at what you plan to grow and panic a bit. Rome wasn't built in a day so just plod on and hope you get there eventually :-)
        Must say coming from a different country I am only just getting used to the products available here after 5 years. Am not impressed with John Innes mixes as I find them full of stones and too much like dirt and do not result in good germination as it compacts and almost forms a seal over the surface that prevents seedlings breaking through.
        My experience is with peat or substitute compounds (like ground coconut fibre) in seed raising mixes that do not have too much sand in them. These tend to hold moisture but provide adequate drainage to avoid damping off.
        If planting robust species as you mention I sometimes make a mix of my own based more on consistency than on x parts of sand and x of "peat" etc.
        I may be talking through my hat but that is my experience lol

Comment

I always go for the cheapest multi purpose compost I can find and use it for everything. I saw some at £2.99 for 75lt the other day so will be out at the weekend to get some. I agree with labeling everything especially if you are growing more than one sort of anything. I have never used any of the John Innes mixes. Reason I always go for cheapest is that in the next six months I will probably use about 30 bags of compost.

Comment

Originally posted by gojiberry View Post
            I always go for the cheapest multi purpose compost I can find and use it for everything. I saw some at £2.99 for 75lt the other day so will be out at the weekend to get some. I agree with labeling everything especially if you are growing more than one sort of anything. I have never used any of the John Innes mixes. Reason I always go for cheapest is that in the next six months I will probably use about 30 bags of compost.
            I use multi purpose for seed sowing as well gojiberry. If you make your own mix to a John Innes formulae you will find it works out very cheap and some plants actually thrive better with a bit of 'body' in the compost. Your pots won't blow over as easily either!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
              What I do is ask my son for a bale of B & Q multipurpose compost for my birthday. I use that for all my seed sowing and it has always worked well. I do sieve it for fine seeds and just take out or grind down the larger lumps for the rest.
              Do you use fine kitchen sieve? Yes some bits of compost can be lumpy that I do wonder and worry if they're preventing the seeds from pushing through, I guess that's the reason why sand is added to seed compost.
              Food for Free

Comment

Originally posted by veg4681 View Post
                Do you use fine kitchen sieve? Yes some bits of compost can be lumpy that I do wonder and worry if they're preventing the seeds from pushing through, I guess that's the reason why sand is added to seed compost.
                I have a fairly fine garden seive - you would be there forever with a kitchen seive!
                Happy Gardening,
                Shirley

Comment

I have a green plastic garden sieve (you've probably seen it) but it just isn't fine enough! I'll look for finer one in the DIY store.
                  Food for Free

Comment

just sown some seeds in my propagator using john innes seed compost. ive never used it before so its all new to me. will try various types to see what works best
                    my plot march 2013http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvzqRS0_hbQ

hindsight is a wonderful thing but foresight is a whole lot better

Comment

I use Foremost or Humax multi-purpose for all my seeds, seived for any large lumps, though the Foremost had a lot less waste - in fact virtually none, and I used 140 x 70 litre bags of it last year.
                      Rat

British by birth
                      Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                      http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by gojiberry View Post
                        I always go for the cheapest multi purpose compost I can find and use it for everything. I saw some at £2.99 for 75lt the other day so will be out at the weekend to get some.
                        Where did you get that compost from? Between Wilko and B&Q, Wilko is cheaper! £3.29 for 70lt but it's the branded stuff. For smaller qty of Perlite and Vermiculite, they're cheaper there too.
                        Food for Free

Comment

I was pondering the same things but noticed in wilkos today some small seed kits 99p there was beetroot an iceberg type lettuce,toms and scallions they are only small but everything in them ie seed, compost thought they might be good for continual sowing throughout the season lets hope they bring in some more varaities.
                          is spacetime curved or was einstien round the bend

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X