No announcement yet.

Sowing chillies anyone?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Momol, have asked them if they can post to the UK.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
      Thanks Momol, have asked them if they can post to the UK.
      It ship to europe Shirl, stated there... Did you join the Jalapeno contest ?

Momol
      I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

we grow loads last year just tryed one of the small ones aji omincloour this one was hard to germinate we only ended up with one of this type.
        used 2 today and stupid me thought how do you tell how hot they are and yea all get ready to fall off your chir now swallow your coffee

I cut it open and put the chill on my tung

they should be called little devils very hot
        Some things in their natural state have the most VIVID colors
        Dobby

Comment

What Size Pot

Sorry for reviving this thread again (to avoid duplicates for future reference) but just wanted to ask for opinions on the size of pots that is adequate to ideal for growing chilli plant. Also I gathered you're better off growing in pots as opposed to ground. I get confused by pot size in litres, could you specify in inches. Thanks.
          Food for Free

Comment

I use 10 litre pots - they are about 10 inches across. They are the black buckets you see flowers in at the supermarket
            Happy Gardening,
            Shirley

Comment

In response to the requests for Jalapeno Ole - I have a plant but no seeds. Ask me again late Summer and I'll send you some.

Regarding pot size. Forgive me if I am stating the obvious to you, but once the plant gets root bound it will start to try to reproduce. You have to decide how big you want your plant. If you keep it in a 4 inch pot then it will fruit earlier and you'll get ripe peppers sooner but you'll get less of them. If you plant it in an empty dustbin you'll get a wacking big plant, but it will spend all summer growing rather than fruiting. If you manage to over winter it then you'll have a great start for next year and probably more peppers than you can eat, but, it may die without giving you a single fruit.

Personally I have a mix of smaller pots, maybe 6 inches. And bigger pots, maybe 12 or 14 inches but often with two plants in.

One thing you should definitely do is build up in size, rather than just plant a tiny seedling into a 10 inch pot. Otherwise it will be very difficult to get the watering correct. They hate having wet feet and a 10 inch pot will hold more water than a small seedling can deal with.

Comment

Originally posted by unconcerned View Post
                Regarding pot size. once the plant gets root bound it will start to try to reproduce. You have to decide how big you want your plant. If you keep it in a 4 inch pot then it will fruit earlier and you'll get ripe peppers sooner but you'll get less of them. If you plant it in an empty dustbin you'll get a wacking big plant but it will spend all summer growing rather than fruiting. If you manage to over winter it then you'll have a great start for next year and probably more peppers than you can eat, but, it may die without giving you a single fruit.
                Thanks for sharing with us your chilli plant growing experience and valuable observation...there's always something for us to learn and take the course of action that suits us. I personally don't have a need for bigger chilli crops so restricting the plant isn't such a bad idea. I don't think the dustbin (despite its size) is any more effective with potato growing either.

Originally posted by unconcerned View Post
                Personally I have a mix of smaller pots, maybe 6 inches. And bigger pots, maybe 12 or 14 inches but often with two plants in.

One thing you should definitely do is build up in size, rather than just plant a tiny seedling into a 10 inch pot. Otherwise it will be very difficult to get the watering correct. They hate having wet feet and a 10 inch pot will hold more water than a small seedling can deal with.
                Hmmm...6 inches pot is still small for me but I do have a 7.5 inches and 9 inches pots that I will use for just 2 chilli plants that I plan on growing.

I must say I was not aware of the concept of building up in pot size but now you've mentioned it, it makes sense and I sure am learning.
                Food for Free

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X