Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sick cucumbers

Hi all,
    I planted 6 cucumbers in my glasshouse back in March and they were growing happily in pots. A few weeks ago I planted them out in the tunnel and they seemed alright but yesterday 2 of them were looking rather wilted and they are even worse today, the base of the stems appear to have been eaten or rotted away. Can anyone advise me on what might be the problem.
    Thanks.

dear canny it sounds like slugs
    reach for the organic slug powder if you have some. tonight when its dark take a torch and go slug hunting and keep hunting every evening especially when its wet or damp weather. put the culprits in an bag tie up and bin it or put them in a solution of water and a drop of bleach.
    Make a couple of slug traps with some upturned citrus fruit skins and a beer trap,a shallow pot sunk into the ground with beer, this will catch and drown the tiny underground slugs with no shell. good hunting.
    Retirement is when you stop living at work and start working at living

Comment

Are the plants sitting in a hollow....it might be overwatering at the base. Do the plants still have a healthy root system? How tall are they?
      Geordie

Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure

Comment

I think it's probably stem rot, cucumbers are really susceptible to this & you have to be careful not to over water them. You might find they keel over & die & you'll just have to try again.
        Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Hi everyone,
          Thanks for all the suggestions. The plants are about a foot high but the roots don't look too healthy, does that sound like overwatering? I'm going off to hunt slugs now, recipes for slugs anyone!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X