X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by momol
    Thanks Manda, will save him ( used to be 2 now seems to be only 1)...Momol
    Killer!

You should be able to 'split' the main plant by taking off off-shoots and growing them on? This bit we haven't done yet, but we've some off-shoots showing this year.
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

I know I could split them but they have been ( Oop again getting my ass***in attemp for twice ) better not giving more pain this year, next year !
      I promise to be his angel this year...... sorry Manda for being so cruel to your beloved globe kind... .

Momol
      I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
        Or in the fridge for more safety about temp.

Why not just put germinated seedlings outdoors during the day? According to the bit I highlighted above you get faster but less buds from the fridge vernalising, but more buds from outside/natural vernalising.
        Doh??? Sorry misread they were referring to seedlings, not seeds! I guess I have to read slowly & carefully, like reading an insurance policy. BTW I want more buds per plant as opposed to faster growing buds.
        Food for Free

Comment

Okay I've been looking for when to plant the I.S. seeds and came across these Youtube videos, they are really good...

Guy from Riverford Organics talks growing artichokes - he's crazy for 'em!

Riverford artichoke recipe - the choke is removed before cooking and here they're cooked with broad beans - yummy!

Cooking whole artichokes - interesting, he doesn't say how to eat them, must be on another video. (But don't eat the choke! They're normally eaten like this leaf by leaf with a dipping sauce)
          Last edited by smallblueplanet; 18-01-2008, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the links Manda will eat my own Arti' ( just don't have the heart to eat such beauty) and it reminds me to the pizza we made with arti' topping some 2 weeks ago, taste nice ( not too sour) but it was a ready bottled Arti' (organic product)...

Momol
            I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

I know it's a bit early but has anybody started chilling their Imperial Star seeds? I mean seeds chilling alone is for 2 weeks even before sowing. I want to give my seedlings a good dose of chilling...god knows how long it takes for the seeds to germinate. I'm soaking mine today.
              Food for Free

Comment

Sorry veg4681 I will be chilling my seedlings, not my seed so not started yet.

Oh and I think I'm probably going to try some violetta di chiogga artichokes too!
                Last edited by smallblueplanet; 22-01-2008, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Doh...I'm doing both ! Fridge chilling seeds AND greenhouse chilling seedlings for bigger aritichoke bud yields & higher number of chokes per plant AND faster forming chokes...if I've read it correctly. I hope this can't hurt. Or perhaps chilling the seeds first overrides the second action, maybe this written in its gene .
                  Food for Free

Comment

Well my 'globes' have been thru for a few days now.....got two Imp Star and four (well three, as one has 'differently-abled' seed leaves, but I think may make it!) Gros de Laon. Violette planted later not thru yet and Concerto F1 still in the post!!!

So when should I pot them on from their modules do you think?
                    Last edited by smallblueplanet; 07-02-2008, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
                      Well my 'globes' have been thru for a few days now.....got two Imp Star and four (well three, as one has 'differently-abled' seed leaves, but I think may make it!) Gros de Laon. Violette planted later not thru yet and Concerto F1 still in the post!!!

So when should I pot them on from their modules do you think?
                      I planted Green Globe on New Year's Day and have transplanted them from cells into bigger pots today. That was simply because they're about 3 or 4 inches high now and were starting to look a bit floppy. I'm not convinced they'll make it really (too much, too soon?) but I have plenty of seeds in reserve
                      I was feeling part of the scenery
                      I walked right out of the machinery
                      My heart going boom boom boom
                      "Hey" he said "Grab your things
                      I've come to take you home."

Comment

They'll make it....they've gotta make it....

Comment

What are you folks talking about, haven't even sowed mine yet ! I had my 3 seeds chilled in the fridge for 2 weeks but I was supposed to sow them yesterday .
                          Food for Free

Comment

Originally posted by veg4681
                            What are you folks talking about, haven't even sowed mine yet !

Get on with it!

Comment

Originally posted by wormlady View Post
                              Hiya
                              In Autumn time you can get yourself some more plants by carefully scraping back the soil and separating baby plantlets from the mummy plant.
                              wormlady I just covered mine over last winter but I was hoping to move or at least divide mine up some time soon, do you know when it would be safe to do that and how (sorry for such a basic question but I'm still very new to gardening!).

Thanks Caroline

Comment

We had some old ones on our new half plot that were about 5 years old and sent up new growth each year.

They will be accompanied by these which I sowed last autumn and promptly forgot about. They survived in small pots all winter but are now repotted and will be planted out in April.

They are quality tucker.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X