Non-orange carrots?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-orange carrots?

Anyone tried any non-orange carrots? What are they like taste-wise?

I've seen Cosmic Purple Carrot & Jaune de Doubs & Atomic Red & Blanche Collet Vert (White).
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

I planted rainbow carrots year before last - the only ones that survived to be eaten were orange so I am afraid I can't help. Have wondered if the purple ones taste the same too!
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

Manda,
      I grew some black carrot ( for winter) but somehow it is not as sweet as the orange one ( more watery). It is not really pure black but the colour is darker than the purple one.

Momol
      I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

ive grown the rainbow & only got orange too....
        but the purple ones i grew last year tasted the same good talking point at work though
        The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

I grew purple and yellow last year.

Tasted the same [although as I was trying to get my OH's daughter to eat them saying they tasted exactly the same, my mother then went and said they tasted different and thus, couldn't get the little one near the things!!!].

No carrot fly tho' and they grew really quickly. The purple goes as soon as it hits hot water [shame, but never mind]. Loved them and was a talking point with the oldies that also grow veg the old style ways.

Comment

We grew Yellowstone, Purple Haze, Red Samurai, Rainbow & Sugarsnax last year. The Yellowstone were milder, Purple quite carrotty, Rainbow were milder in pale colour, darker colour were ordinary, Red Samurai didn't get big enough to eat, & Sugarsnax were lovely carrotty & sweet. We'll be doing them all again this year but hopefully better yields as they'll be in a huge packing crate rather than my clay soil!

Comment

The purple ones I had (not sure on variety) were really good, a slightly nuttier taste than regular ones but still very carrotty. Only problem was that when I steamed them over pots, I ended up with slightly pink mash! Also scared OH's family - they're not very good with veg and I think this was a step too far!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Alison
                ....I ended up with slightly pink mash! Also scared OH's family - they're not very good with veg and I think this was a step too far!
                ROFL!!!
                To see a world in a grain of sand
                And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

I quite fancied having a go at some rainbow veg this year, maybe some different coloured caulis and beans too.
                  Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
                    We grew Yellowstone, Purple Haze, Red Samurai, Rainbow & Sugarsnax last year. The Yellowstone were milder, Purple quite carrotty, Rainbow were milder in pale colour, darker colour were ordinary, Red Samurai didn't get big enough to eat, & Sugarsnax were lovely carrotty & sweet. We'll be doing them all again this year but hopefully better yields as they'll be in a huge packing crate rather than my clay soil!
                    we are trying all these this year too, we grew rainbow last year and i was very impressed with them, the kids absolutely loved them, and still turned their noses up a orange ones but ate the paler ones with relish. just don't understand kids.
                    Kernow rag nevra

Some people feel the rain, others just get wet.
                    Bob Dylan

Comment

I grew Purple Dragon one year, they were fab. I grew rainbow last year, but only the white ones survived the slugs - and I know why. They were tough and horrible, more like tough turnips than carrots.
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by kernowyon View Post
                        we are trying all these this year too, we grew rainbow last year and i was very impressed with them, the kids absolutely loved them, and still turned their noses up a orange ones but ate the paler ones with relish. just don't understand kids.
                        My daughter was absolutely delighted to eat the orange ones when she found out they were called 'Sugarsnax'!! "Mmmmm, I love sugar.." Hahahahaha Got some called 'Honeysnax' or something like that from T&M, she's properly excited about them...

Comment

i grown a few coloured ones, try white carrots there really strong carrot flavour
                          white kuttiger and green topped white,
                          also yellow jaune des doubs, lubiana yellow
                          i tend to grow mine in pots and have had most succes with the weirder ones this way,
                          also a rare veriety called purple dragon,(purple and orange centre) think this is the one most of the new purple haze and other purples come from,
                          tried one called spanish black which needs very moist conditions(purple/black skin flesh white centre,
                          also managed to grow a pink hairy carrot from india, a bit bazzar,
                          red samurai which was a bit poor,
                          stew

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X