What to put in the greenhouse?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to put in the greenhouse?

Gonna start some seeds tomorrow, can't resist anymore.

Anyway I'm wondering what tomatoes to grow indoors and what outdoors. We've room for 3 plants/varieties in the greenhouse.

I want a Matina, so two others...

We've got various black types, andine cornue that's been raved about, cherry types, we've got the lot. Is there a 'type' that would benefit from being in a greenhouse rather than outdoors?

Helppppp!
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

Would suggest not tomatoes tomorrow! Peas or brassicas would probably do well in the greehouse at the mo and could be hardened off for planting out in March/April in time for the mad rush!
    The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

Originally posted by TPeers
      Would suggest not tomatoes tomorrow! Peas or brassicas would probably do well in the greehouse at the mo and could be hardened off for planting out in March/April in time for the mad rush!
      Sorry TP, yeah not toms tomorrow, aubs and chillis tomorrow, but was trying to decide how many and of which tomato. Got the aub & chilli varieties down, but unsure about which particular toms would be best grown indoors - so many toms seem okay outdoors down sarf!
      Last edited by smallblueplanet; 26-01-2008, 07:25 PM.

Comment

My peppers/chillies from last year are still going strong on the window sills indoors! And producing more fruits! Never grown an aubergine - I know you can get white ones as well as purple and large or small - but that is as far as my knowledge goes!
        The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

I'm sowing my greenhouse tomatoes this week. I am a great lover of cherry tomatoes and I'm sowing black zebra, black cherry, golden cherry,yellow pygmy and gardeners delight.I love lots of colours on my plate! Plus costoluto fiorentino for huge flavoursome tomatoes....yum

I wait another couple of months before sowing the outdoor ones.

Thats all the veges I am sowing during January but have loads of flowers that have to be sown now.

Like yourself I am just longing to get going. I have spent this week cleaning out the greenhouse...phew

Comment

Originally posted by cottage garden
            .....Plus costoluto fiorentino for huge flavoursome tomatoes....yum....
            Yeah maybe I'll put the big boys in the g/h - what are costoluto f like?

Comment

Delicious. huge and real melt in the mouth richness. Can be cooked but I love thick slices of them with basil leaves, goats cheese and drizzled with olive oil and freshly ground pepper....started salivating....!

Comment

Ahhh!!! another tomato variety to add to the list. That sounds fab c_g

Comment

If you really want to get your hands on this costoluto fiorentino tomato for this year, B&Q sells them just in case you're interested, think it's cheaper than Real Seeds.
                  Food for Free

Comment

Thanks Ami - but we've only got a Focus round here. Have decided to be sensible and not plant any aubs/chillis until next weekend, so I'll be looking at tomato varieties - keeps me happy!

Comment

I don't know but it feels like the aubergines and peppers take a century to germinate anyway so I'm so grateful for the early sowing . I mean don't you lose so much time if germination can take as long as 21 days, so sowing in March is a definite no, no for me.

Probably 2nd batch of tomatoes to sow today, all different from the last batch of course. BTW I've just checked that you get 150 tomatoes seeds from B&Q as opposed to 40 from Real Seeds for the same price .

I'm holding off my Brassica till the beginning of Feb but all the fruiting veggies are sorted except for the winter squashes.
                      Food for Free

Comment

Originally posted by veg4681 View Post
                        I don't know but it feels like the aubergines and peppers take a century to germinate anyway so I'm so grateful for the early sowing . I mean don't you lose so much time if germination can take as long as 21 days, so sowing in March is a definite no, no for me.
                        Just checked our diary and seeds went into the heated prop on 14th Feb and by the 22nd Feb 'over the past 3 days both the peppers (hot & sweet) & aubs have been germinating well'.

Originally posted by veg4681
                        BTW I've just checked that you get 150 tomatoes seeds from B&Q as opposed to 40 from Real Seeds for the same price .
                        I've just remembered that the GC near us sells Franchi/Seeds of Italy seeds - according to their website £1.59 buys 450 seeds!

Think we'll sow some early leeks and onions today, maybe some pelargonims too.
                        Last edited by smallblueplanet; 27-01-2008, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
                          Just checked our diary and seeds went into the heated prop on 14th Feb and by the 22nd Feb 'over the past 3 days both the peppers (hot & sweet) & aubs have been germinating well'.

I've just remembered that the GC near us sells Franchi/Seeds of Italy seeds - according to their website £1.59 buys 450 seeds!

Think we'll sow some early leeks and onions today, maybe some pelargonims too.
                          No kidding, that's 9 days for germination. It's been almost 2 weeks since I last sowed the aubergines but no sign of doing anything whatsoever. My pantry/boiler room is probably not hot enough and the temperature is not constant. See what I mean, I need sowing early to cover my a*s. And if still nothing happens, buy myself a heated propagator and sow around the same time as you. However the peppers and tomatoes been in only one week.

450 seeds, are you sure it's the same tomato ?
                          Food for Free

Comment

Originally posted by veg4681 View Post
                            No kidding, that's 9 days for germination.....
                            450 seeds, are you sure it's the same tomato ?
                            Less than 9 days, but who's counting?

Yep the pkts from Seeds of Italy typify the sort of quantities you often get abroad.

Seeds of Italy
                            Last edited by smallblueplanet; 27-01-2008, 02:40 PM.

Comment

I have just planted this morning some seeds in greenhouse. - Cauliflower 'All Year Round,'- Cabbage 'Greyhound,'- Leek 'Musselburgh,' & Parsnips.
                              Also my onion sets & shallots.
                              Smile and the world smiles with you

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X