What to put in the greenhouse?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
    Think the 100 is half the size of the 300, so getting some small cells/modules would make it easier to start more seeds? Not sure whether 3" pots will fit as easily as the top on ours slopes?

We only got ours (about 7 years ago) as they were half price in Focus DIY (£20 rather than £40!

Propagation > Propagators > Sankey Growarm 100 Heated Propagator

Link for info, not price - Sankey 100 - Dimensions:- Length 38cm x Width 24cm x Height 19cm

Sankey 300 - Dimensions:- Length 57cm x Width 38cm x Height 25cm

Are there any deals on the Net?

Sankey-Electric-Plant-Propagator
    Hmm....that's somewhat small but I think it will suffice as the propagator is mostly for Her Royal Highness fruiting vegetables which means I'll have to transfer the potted ones back to cell trays. Yes it is from Focus and they also sell the 300 one but their price is still much lower than £40 odd that the onliners are advertising for . Yep, by far the Net has the poorest deal.

Hope they have a stock but won't be surprised if they don't. You'd think January is early but it ain't with the mob mentality when everybody's thinking of the same thing (I see the glass as half empty).
    Last edited by veg4681; 28-01-2008, 10:02 AM.
    Food for Free

Comment

Originally posted by veg4681
      ...Yes it is from Focus and they also sell the 300 one but their price is still much lower than £40 odd that the onliners are advertising for . Yep, by far the Net has the poorest deal....
      You can buy from Focus online, but they're out of stock.

"Focus" Growarm 300 Heated Prop at Focus

The ebay one from CharliesDirect was £25 inc p&p but only gave the size, not number.
      To see a world in a grain of sand
      And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

The only diaadvantage with that one is the lack of a thermostat. I have one more or less the same but you have to keep an eve on the temp as it can get very hot. Another thing i would not do any more is sow in modules. I did this last year and while some chillis' germinated quickly and needed to be taken out of the propogator some others had'nt germinated and so the ones that germinated first became leggy while waiting for the other ones. This year i will be sowing them all in induvidual pots, that way i can move them out when they are ready.

And when your back stops aching,
        And your hands begin to harden.
        You will find yourself a partner,
        In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bramble View Post
          The only diaadvantage with that one is the lack of a thermostat. I have one more or less the same but you have to keep an eve on the temp as it can get very hot. Another thing i would not do any more is sow in modules. I did this last year and while some chillis' germinated quickly and needed to be taken out of the propogator some others had'nt germinated and so the ones that germinated first became leggy while waiting for the other ones. This year i will be sowing them all in induvidual pots, that way i can move them out when they are ready.
          Oh no, you're making me uneasy but I perfectly see your point. I can see that sort of problem now that you've told me . Thanks for discussing your experience, every little helps. So you reckon the Growarm 100 will be high enough for individual 3" pots, the measurement sound high enough.
          Last edited by veg4681; 28-01-2008, 10:47 AM.
          Food for Free

Comment

I agree to a point with bramble, as some chilli/aubs/toms germinate before others, but as I said you can prick them out into another pot, or even use the type of thin plastic modules that split up easily?

I'm sure the 100 will be tall enough for 3" pots from looking at the picture. Trial and error!
            Last edited by smallblueplanet; 28-01-2008, 11:10 AM.
            To see a world in a grain of sand
            And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

I have the Growarm 100 too, and it does the job for me. I also bought a small heated mat, which is useful as I can put it underneath any size of pot or tray. They come in 3 sizes,the smallest (which I have) is the same size as a standard seed tray Ferndale Lodge: Buy Warming Mat - 25 x 35cm (10 x 14") 15 watts UK online

As Bramble says, sometimes cell trays are a pain if the seeds don't all germinate at the same time - my onions are in 40 cell tray, only 17 have germinated so far

Comment

I sow in small newspaper pots in my propogator so can remove them individually as soon as they germinate. When I pot on I put the whole pot into a 3" pot as it will break down down in the damp soil and I don't have to handle the seedling - I can be a bit clumsy and have broken stems in the past when I have a lot to do and I'm rushing! This way I get the advantage of small modules without the inconvenience of them being attached.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I cut up module trays into 4 or 6 cell sections when necessary. It makes life a lot easier when sowing successionally in small quantities. From these modules, seedlings can be potted on into larger pots or their final position.

I have also discovered the compact plug plant thingy (7x7 row plugs, grey plastic with cover and tray, advertised widely) which has less root room, but is fabulously tough and it's incredibly simple to get individual plugs out (select the correct diameter finger, and away you go )

Sweetcorn, peas and bean go into rootrainers - I find them very efficient in terms of compost - and the largest seeds (cucumber, courgettes etc) are sown into 4 or 5 inch pots. The latter grow so fast that extra space is beneficial.

Comment

If anybody's interested, the Skankey Growarm 100 takes upto 11 of 3" pots. I tried to squeeze in more but the lid wouldn't fit. Maybe if you use plastic cups, you may be able to get more in.

Just discovered something with my boiler room, that I may have used the wrong part of the room . It appears to get hotter towards the top/ceiling just level with the boiler generating all the good heat. I have moved all remaining pots to the top shelf, maybe they'll germinate faster than the heated propagator ! Another beans sprouted on me on the 3rd day after sowing !
                    Food for Free

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X