Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lunar Sowing

Hello All
    Recently joined this forum on recommendation of Diana. Diana lives at the far south of the island - and me at the far north - and yes - the weather can be totally different 6 miles apart!
    Have been eavesdropping for a few days - and now thoroughly envious of those of you digging and sowing stuff! Much Much too wet for digging, and sowed some mixed salad leaves in polytunnel before Christmas - now an average of just 1cm tall Just not enough light methinks. Still, the days will get longer, and the clouds have got to run out of water at some time, and by June, when we have very little dark, we will hopefully be smirking
    Anyway - does anyone have any experience of lunar planting?? Have had a book for years and years but never got around to trying the principle (usually lucky to remember to sow anything after the first hectic blitz!)
    Would be interested to hear of any experiences

Hi paplay, there is a thread on moon gardening here, there is a fair amount of anecdotal evidence that suggests it can work, but some people found it difficult to sow things at the day/time they were supposed to be sown. The general advice is that if you sow a little bit before or during the optimal time, and avoid the worst times, that's fine. I tried it last year na dfound it a helpful way to remind me what needed sowing - for example if it happened to be a 'leaf' day then I focussed on what salads/cabbages etc needed sowing. I'm not th emost organised of gardeners so I found the lunar calendar a helpful prompt.

Here's another useful website for you here, and you can even download a tool for your Googel toobar which tells you what to sow on each day!

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

Could one of the mods put paplay's two lunar gardening threads together? I thought I'd lost it when I saw BW's post but not mine.....phew its on the other post!
      To see a world in a grain of sand
      And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

It's a huge thing in France, I've had two free booklets with my French gardening mags this month. Never tried it tho.
        TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

Originally posted by TonyF
          It's a huge thing in France, I've had two free booklets with my French gardening mags this month. Never tried it tho.
          C'mon Tony give it a go with something, if you want to be truely integrated!? I see on the back of some Le Paysan seed packs there's a space for you to write info like date of sowing and Lune. Surely they can't all be crazy!?
          To see a world in a grain of sand
          And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

I do it when I can, but try not to become too distressed if it's not practicable for some reason. Last summer the weather here was so appalling that in the end things just went in whenever it became possible. I suppose the thing to do is a trial, planting one set of a variety on the 'right' day and one on the 'wrong' day, side-by-side, uniform watering etc. But, to be honest I can't be bothered. I just do it because I think, well it can't hurt - and it might just help and because, for some reason, it just 'feels' the right way to do it.
            Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

I'll be trying it this year after I got the Nick Kollerstrom book at Christmas. I think like evreything you can only use it as a guide and quite often other things will dictate when ou have time to sow etc. However, I sowed leek seeds and onion sets on Saturday which was a good lunar time for root crops. I'll see how it goes!
              http://plot62.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X