Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! White clumps in brand new bag of compost, friend or foe?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! White clumps in brand new bag of compost, friend or foe?

I have some new bags of compost which I intend to use to start off seeds, but there's loads of white clumps all over (maybe a fungus of some sort?), is that a good or a bad thing?

What brand of compost? What do the clumps look like?

Comment

its J. Arthurs Bowers. The clumps look a bit like a lump of tissue after its been left inside a pocket and the garment's been washed, if you know what i mean. At first i thought 'its a bit of paper', but then saw it was all over the compost, and now im almost certain it is a sort of white mold. I'm not sure if it would be safe to use for starting off my seeds, both flowers and vegetables?

Comment

I'd be tempted to take it back and ask for an explanation. It might be harmless but you've paid for good stuff, you should expect it.
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Only problem is I bought it months ago. It's been kept in the garage since then... :S

Comment

Hmm. Does it smell mushroomy? Sometimes you get that in compost. I mainly find that sort of thing in bark chippings which I use on my paths. Can't suggest what to do about it, sorry.
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

It doesn't really smell of anything, I gave it a good sniff to see if it smelled "off" or anything unusual, but nothing...

Comment

When you bought your compost it should have been sterile but it depends on the quality. What you see in it now is a mycelium growing from spores that were either in the compost when you bought it or have found their way in since. It naturely occurs in soil and should not be a problem as most fungal growths do not like to be disturbed.
                I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Thanks Terrier. So is it safe then to use for my vegetable seeds? I don't want to spread diseases all over my plot...

Comment

I wouldn't use old stale compost for seeds anyway but it should be alright for growing established plants.
                    I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X