Potatoes in buckets/containers?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potatoes in buckets/containers?

Need info please. When can I plant first earlies in a big bucket? I've been asked a question by a new grower and don't know the answer!!!

The answer is for Marthaclematis and she's in SE London.
    Last edited by smallblueplanet; 27-01-2008, 05:03 PM.
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

Ive already got some in tubs but they are in the greenhouse, Iwould imagine it would be end of feb or beginning march for outside.

Beware Greeks bearing gifts, or have you already got a wooden horse?... hehe.

Comment

I grew some potatoes last year in old compost bags and it was really good out come of crop. Think I planted them on Good Friday for early.
      will also be doing the same this year.
      Smile and the world smiles with you

Comment

Not in containers, but I planted my rocket spuds 24 Feb at the Hill.

I was probably lucky not to get any frost damage, however, they did take 6 weeks to show above ground. I was eating the first ones after 10 1/2 weeks.

Comment

Hi there, Marthaclematis here. I'm very excited to have bought a bin/bucket thing and compost and seed potatoes. I am really keen to plant them, they're earlies "Rocket". It says on the packet to plant after threat of frost. Its been very mild down here and I don't think we'll get any more frost....but I guess I'll have to be patient, I don't want to thwart my first attempt. I might just be able to hold out to end of Feb. I see you too planted Rocket Hazel at the Hill. Were they tasty?

Comment

If I find the time and energy tomorrow I might plant one or two of my Charlotte and put them in the greenhouse - purely as a trial.
            Happy Gardening,
            Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by Marthaclematis View Post
              I see you too planted Rocket Hazel at the Hill. Were they tasty?
              Um. Weeeell because I'd grown them, obviouslt they tasted FABULOUS! However, as a variety, they really don't have a lot of flavour, I don't think....

As a first timer last year, I fell into the trap of buying rocket as they are the firstest potatoes...and you can't argue with that.

However, I'm going to wait the extra couple of weeks growing time this year and go for someting tastier. Not sure what yet - going to Ryton next Sun for their potato day to buy mine

Comment

Yep, I did the rocket thing too. Nothing wrong with them - they look fine and the crop was healthy. Just a bit... well, you know

I'm also in south east London. My garden is quite cool and windy, and I use a greenhouse for early crops. I will put some potatoes in a sack in the greenhouse during February, then I'll plant another lot a fortnight after that and so on, until they're all gone. After the frosts have finished, sacks/ pots are moved outside. It's a bit labour intensive, but there's little room in the ground. Not ideal, but it means I get potatoes!

If you are considering an outside crop, I would wait until March and I would make sure I had fleece ready for cold nights.

Comment

Martha - you may be further into London than me (I'm down in Bromley), and, as I said, my garden is on the cold side, but we get frosts into March every year, and sometimes into April, so do be careful.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X