Chitting potatoes ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gardenplot View Post
    Gonna move mine in to the cool dark store room to keep them from sprouting anymore, thought they didn’t look too good.
    Chitting potatoes need to be in strong cool light...

Geo..

Comment

Originally posted by gardenplot View Post
      Gonna move mine in to the cool dark store room to keep them from sprouting anymore, thought they didn’t look too good.
      No, darker room may force them to shoot faster (as you get with putting them in cupboard). Choose a cooler room but still next to natural light e.g. on a table near a window or even window sill. You don't have to use those sprouts, could break off a bit to encourage sturdy chubbier sprouts but that depends on when they get planted as that's a 1st earlies, is that right? Maybe still enough time to regrow stronger shoots before planting. The tubers can be placed close together, not compulsory to have spaces of an egg tray. Please anyone correct me where I'm wrong. Just trying to help remedy the tubers.
      Food for Free

Comment

Originally posted by crichmond View Post
        Only just got mine on saturday.
        What type are the tiny pots in the middle of the piccy crichmond?
        To see a world in a grain of sand
        And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

I have various tatties chitting on the greenhouse bench and we've had some humdinger frosts the last three days. Went to the allotment today expecting to find a pile of mush where the tatties had been but to my surprise they are unharmed?
          Are they slightly hardier than we give them credit for? Temp had dropped to minus 6 the last three nights and there was ice in the watering can in the greenhouse, but the chitting spuds have survived. Not to take any more chances and push my luck I have covered them with lots of sheets of newspaper (cos that's all I had to hand!)

I should sleep a little bit better tonight!
          Last edited by Snadger; 20-02-2008, 06:45 AM.
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
            Sorry but I cant remember, I will tell you tomorrow after I come back from the allotment, they are a salad potato but cant remember the name.

Beware Greeks bearing gifts, or have you already got a wooden horse?... hehe.

Comment

I've got mine in the garage but under newspaper - they are sprouting......should i remove the paper ????

I'm doing Red Duke of York and Golden Wonder......going to do them in Compost Sacks (3 seed pots in each)
              AKA - BigMatt over at Chillis Galore......

Comment

Originally posted by Pieman View Post
                I've got mine in the garage but under newspaper - they are sprouting......should i remove the paper ????
                I think you should remove the newspaper. Are the sprouts thin and leggy or strong and chubby?
                Food for Free

Comment

to be honest they're not too long - but are not thick like Geo's above
                  AKA - BigMatt over at Chillis Galore......

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
                    Remembered to check today SBP they are charlotte salad tatties
                    Last edited by crichmond; 21-02-2008, 05:40 PM.

Beware Greeks bearing gifts, or have you already got a wooden horse?... hehe.

Comment

Chitting potatoes

Hi all
                      Should i have my potatoes indoors for chitting?

i've got some first earlys (pentland javalin) in my shed on the lottie but 1 set of about 20 are sprouting about aninch high but the others nothing but little tiny eyes

also when should i plant these out?

Comment

Originally posted by crichmond
                        Remembered to check today SBP they are charlotte salad tatties
                        Nothing personal but are they a bit small for charlottes that is? But thanks you've reminded me we haven't any and I like Charlotte.
                        To see a world in a grain of sand
                        And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Thanks for clear advice Vecten and Cutecumber
                          VF

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X