Need advice on Courgette

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on Courgette

Need advice on Courgette not sure which to get so any help and advice on the best ones please
    Just so many to choose from Courgettes, Marrows and Squashes : Mr Fothergill's Seeds United Kingdom
    Smile and the world smiles with you

To start you off, standard vegetable varieties are easily available from B&Q and Wilko own brand seeds that can start as low price as 50p per packet. Other cheap seed suppliers (under a quid) are AlanRomans.com, Moreveg.net and Pennards seeds (but seed qty may be compromised). I think you can't go wrong with most courgette variety as they're generally easy to grow veg, just read up and see what you like best and price is right for you.
    Last edited by veg4681; 31-01-2008, 06:35 PM.
    Food for Free

Comment

can't remember what they were called but we grew a yellow variety last year, tasted the same as the green ones, but added a bit of extra color to meal time.
      personally i don't think there is that much difference between varieties to my knowledge just be prepared for courgette overload.

Comment

And if you want something different again, try the round ones, great for stuffing and just the right size for lunch.
        TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

I tried courgette 'Bambino' F1 last year and it was fantastic. 3 plants were more than enough for my family of 5 plus friends (and the flowers are delicious in stir fries). The plants cropped for ages and even when we went on holiday and couldn't pick for a couple of weeks, the fruits turned to marrow size but were still really tasty roasted. They cropped well into autumn. Highly recommended, no problems with diseases and the plants are relitively small and compact as the name suggests so they don't take over the plot.

Comment

Hi and welcome to the vine jess. Glad you had fun with your courgettes last year, I grew 3 plants too but only got about 4 little fruits? off them. Gonna try harder this year though
            Happy Gardening,
            Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
              Hi and welcome to the vine jess. Glad you had fun with your courgettes last year, I grew 3 plants too but only got about 4 little fruits? off them. Gonna try harder this year though
              Really ? Which courgette variety was it? I had a record breaking courgette yield in living memory last year, easily 40-50 fruits from one and only plant I had. It was standard courgette variety called Zuchini F1, Wilko own brand. Besides I had a fantastic soil having cleared a 10 year old garden compost from mostly kitchen waste and it was grown in ground, not pot. Mind you some people have reported that courgette yields are poorer in pots.

For this year, I have these
              Yellow Straightneck courgette
              Egyptian White courgette
              Trieste White Cousa courgette
              Zuchini F1????
              Last edited by veg4681; 01-02-2008, 09:55 AM.
              Food for Free

Comment

I've never had any real success growing courgettes in pots. I just start them off in pots then plant them into the equipoo in the ground and stand back.
                I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Welcome to the 'vine', Jess. If I can find them, I'll have a go at bambino this year, sounds a good choice for a small garden.
                  I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

I grew Defender (green courgette) and Taxi (yellow courgette) last year. Defender were superb - lost only 1 plant out of 250 and had great yield from them - was picking between 50 and 60 courgettes every second day, Taxi was a different story. Although I lost no plants from the 90 I put in, the plants put on loads of growth and looked healthy enough, and formed loads of courgettes - the only problem was that once the fruits got to the size of your pinky finger, they stopped growing !! They were planted in the same beds as the Defender, at the same time and at the same stage. Still not sure what went wrong but will not be giving them a second chance !
                    Rat

British by birth
                    Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                    http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Can also recommend 'Bambino' and a yellow one called 'Gold Rush' - only one plant but over 70 courgettes on this one!
                      Growing in the Garden of England

Comment

I grew Zuccini last year, some in the ground and some in tubs - the ones in the ground had a much bigger yeild than those in tubs, tho I did have a few from the tubs. The variety was fine, healthy and tasty!
                        Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Hi

I have grown them intubs and in he ground - last year the yellow Taxi ones were as sewer rats were; but all the green ones [had several different types] all went bonkers once summer kicked in.

I love growing courgettes in any form; probably my favourite of all. So lovely, big and the flowers are gorgeous.

Comment

going shopping to day so will be getting my seeds and trying Defender (green courgette) and Taxi (yellow courgette) gonna grow them in greenhouse in growbags cos no room in garden
                            Thankyou everyone for you help i really Appreciate it
                            Smile and the world smiles with you

Comment

Didn't do very well last year with courgettes, think the young plants got a bit too waterlogged. Tried a yellow variety for the first time (Gold Rush, I think) and it did even worse than the green one. From what a couple of friends have said, the green ones usually out perform the yellow ones but don't look as colourful!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X