No announcement yet.

Need advice on Courgette

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like kentvegplot, I swear by Gold Rush - it's consistently really prolific no matter what the summer's like.

All courgettes are a very thirsty crop, so if you're growing in a greenhouse you may need to water twice a day.

If you do manage to enlist a corner of your garden for a plant, you might find it much less work to grow them there than in grow bags. Bung a load of manure on top of the ground where you plant and you'll get bumper crops as it feeds them and acts as a mulch and helps to keep the water in.

Comment

ooh, just read veg4681's post about Egyptian White courgette - sounds amazing - where did you get the seeds?

Comment

Originally posted by jeannine View Post
        ooh, just read veg4681's post about Egyptian White courgette - sounds amazing - where did you get the seeds?
        Don't know if you can buy them (not that I've ever come across it) but I only just got it from our Grapes Swaine. I imagine they're the typical middle eastern looking breeds of courgettes, pale green to white, fat to bloaty shaped and tasty I should think .
        Food for Free

Comment

I grew zuchini and got super yeilds last year. My yellow of choice is gold rush. Didn't get any in in time last year - the weather went all to pot - as it seems to be doing outside today!
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Mysterious courgette

Could someone please tell me what this mysterious courgette is? Thanks a lot!

Comment

No idea MagicRusski - there is just a blue box and no picture or link

Comment

My tried and trusted are Defender (green courgette - does what it says on the tin), Ambassador - slightly earlier and the last ones can be left to grow to marrow size with no loss in quality) and Taxi (yellow variety - a bit temperamental but very high yielding when things are right)
                This year I have also got patty pan squashes (green and yellow scalloped), a black (very very dark green actually) courgette, Lebanese Courgette (slightly bulbous pale green courgette) and One Ball (a mid green rounf variety) as well as some Butternut Squash (variety unknown as I was given the plants by one of my box customers)
                Rat

British by birth
                Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by sewer rat View Post
                  My tried and trusted are ..Taxi (yellow variety - a bit temperamental but very high yielding when things are right)
                  Oh good, I've just bought some of them to try, after Gold Rush failed to germinate.
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

All my plants got mixed up so I don't know which is which. I do know that the ones that have started to tail are one of the various squashes I sowed but other than that it is a waiting game. Still it adds to the thrill of gardening.

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by MagicRusski View Post
                      Could someone please tell me what this mysterious courgette is? Thanks a lot!
                      Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                      No idea MagicRusski - there is just a blue box and no picture or link
                      And all I can see is a picture that's failed to load - little white box with a red X in it...
                      But, having pasted the link into my browser everyone else can see what MagicRusski was asking about below;
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by SarzWix; 12-06-2009, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gardenplot View Post
                        Need advice on Courgette not sure which to get so any help and advice on the best ones please
                        Just so many to choose from Courgettes, Marrows and Squashes : Mr Fothergill's Seeds United Kingdom
                        Growing Franchi Romanesco from seed set them off in warm compost in cold frame In April 2009.Transferred them to raised 8inch beds 4inch old manure and the rest recycled compost [from council] covered in Plastic at night .Since May they have been flying already picking 6 inch fruits. Its not to late to sow now but probably better to buy some
                        Nutty flavour when sliced thinly like a taglitelle with mayo has a nutty flavour [raw] My allotment is in NE London and very sunny

Comment

Last 2 years Nero di Milano from Franchi - also this year
                          Last year Romanesco (also Franchi) - and this year
                          Added Pattison Square (yellow patty pan or orange i think?)
                          Also Trieste (whitish I think? or is it yellow?)

Currently 2 of each in raised bed, plus 3 in each of two "permanent growbags" (don't waste money on these - really floppy and hard to fill!) plus 2 next to the broad beans, plus 2 in between the shallots....
                          OK OK I hate not planting something I've sowed :-)
                          S

Comment

Originally posted by indigox View Post
                            For those of you looking for white courgettes,
                            I've found a few white/pale ones on the interweb:

Courgette Clarita Seeds at Marshalls Seeds
                            Grew these for first time when we moved here a couple of years ago. It did amazingly well, great yields and wonderful firm fleshed sweet courgettes! Couldn't give enough away! Only difference is that they were from Unwins. Run out of these now and have replenished stocks (from Marshalls) this year, but can't get seed to germinate!

Originally posted by tomqpump View Post
                            Growing Franchi Romanesco from seed
                            Have also bought these this year (from Marshalls) after seeing the ribbed courgettes at a market in Rome earlier this year (No more room for courgettes/squashes & pumpkins so saving this for next year!

What I AM/INTEND to grow this year :
                            Custard White (scalloped shaped squash) (got nice looking plant in pot showing some buds so will be planting out tomorrow. Also have 2 more that just germinated!)
                            Winter Squash Sweet Dumpling am STILL waiting for these to germinate - indoor sowing and outdoor!
                            Butternut Squash (1 seed finally germinated!)
                            4x mystery pumpkin plants given to me by mother - possibly Crown Prince - she nabbed seed from a cut pumpkin in an Asian grocery store!
                            Courgette Clarita (pale green lebanese type) blinking thing wont germinate indoors!

Anyone know they best way to germinate squash/courgettes seeds? Never had problem before? Used to just plonk in pot and out they pop?

Comment

I had a disaster with Jemma last year (gold) only 6 from 2 plants! I've got the green growing this year tho I see the last of the Jemma seeds have germinated , I have more room this year so I'll give them one last chance!
                              Mad Old Bat With Attitude.

I tried jogging, but I couldn't keep the ice in my glass.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X