Not to be grown list

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really feel the odd one out here

I absolutely love Brussel sprouts, Broad Beans (my favourite), Parsnips, Onions, shallots...in fact most veggies in abundance

One I didn't think much of was Asparagras peas...very pretty flower (worth growing for that) but taste awful

Comment

Never had success with celery ( nor cauliflowers for that matter!)
      Wouldn't grow broad beans out of choice either (not keen on the texture and too much podding and de-skinning for me)
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I agree with Derek, love Brussels (and the children LOVE them!) but haven't tried growing them for a few years - take up too much space for too long.

Always said I wouldn't grow calis again, after failing 3 years running but OH has persuaded me to have another go this year. Wish me luck
        Growing in the Garden of England

Comment

have given up on celeriac, supposed to grow well with copious watering, had mine in the ground all last season, with all that rainfall still only managed a few that reached tennis ball size, for the space they took up really not worth it.
          on the other hand grew two types of kohl rabi, (white and purple) none actually made it home, they made really good snacks on the lottie. will grow more this year (perhaps in the space left by not growing celeriac)
          Kernow rag nevra

Some people feel the rain, others just get wet.
          Bob Dylan

Comment

Originally posted by kernowyon
            ...on the other hand grew two types of kohl rabi, (white and purple) none actually made it home, they made really good snacks on the lottie....
            Really? What do they taste like raw (and cooked)?
            To see a world in a grain of sand
            And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Although it is my first season on the allotment I have decided that I won't be trying to grow:

Parsnips - don't like them and poor germination rates and forking put me off
              Asparagus - love it but don't think I'll have room
              Celery - can't stand the stuff!
              Aubergine - Really wish I liked aubergine as they are such a beautiful colour. I've tried them in all sorts of dishes but still don't like them.

Comment

Originally posted by lainey lou View Post
                Won't bother again with mooli or kohl rabi as i didn't like them much and hate turnips and swedes!
                I don't bother with turnips any more because kohl rabi are so fabulous - and I've still got a few mooli standing in the ground. Love them both. We're just incompatible, dear!
                Last edited by Flummery; 05-02-2008, 08:42 AM.
                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Will only grow what i like, my garden plot isn’t big enough to grow owt else
                  I love cabbage, carrots, Swede and beetroot so that is my main ones to get in and grow.
                  Smile and the world smiles with you

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
                    Really? What do they taste like raw (and cooked)?
                    A bit like very mild cabbage stalk. Is that any help. Really nutty and slightly brassica-ish. They make a fantastic coleslaw with a bit of onion, some carrot and mayo.

I also love them stir-fried in a little oil or butter. Keep them moving and they cook in a few minutes if you do them in julienne strips.
                    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I am with Flummery, though it has brassica taste but very mild, love the crispy and sweet taste, they are yummy (but I don't grow any, can buy them easily here). I cook them in stir fry ( jullien is the perfect way to cook them) and in soup (very small cubes or thin jullien). Get the young bulb, once too old no longer taste !!!

I want to add my dislike list too, it is broad beans I am afraid, grew it 2 years ago. It invites lots of black fly. The yound beans taste lovely but the older one is a bit too starchy and need to grow a lot to be able to harvest a decent meal. I think I will go for butterpea/ lima beans instead as it grow like bush/pole french beans.
                      Any idea about Butterpea/lima beans anyone ?
                      Last edited by momol; 05-02-2008, 09:12 AM.
                      I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

Boo! to you momol! Broad beans are delicious....take the tops of the plant off when they get black-fly (they only really go for the tasty young bits of the plant apparently?). Don't let the beans get old them - pick 'em and freeze 'em!

I think we may be a bit short and cool (season-wise ) over here for lima beans? I've only seen short ones, have you some as a climber?

Hmmm, might consider kohl rabi then.
                        Last edited by smallblueplanet; 05-02-2008, 09:17 AM.

Comment

SBP,

Here is a link to BC, they have bush and pole butterpea/Lima beans :
                          Lima Beans Heirloom Seeds - Rareseeds.com Catalog

I know they need warm that is why I am putting a thread asking the experienced grapes about any succes growing them .

Comment

I agree about asparagus peas - won't bother with them again. They'd probably look pretty amongst the sweet peas for the flowers but were not worth bothering with for food value.

Can't stand aubergines so have never grown them

I won't be bothering with Vegetable spaghetti again either, I was quite intrigued with this so tried them last year. Got a few but found them almost tasteless.

Will probably give Brocolli and Brussels one more try this year, the plants I bought last year haven't produced any thing edible yet but are occupying most of my garden plot.

As for not growing vegetables that are cheap and available in the supermarkets - surely the taste factor of home grown just can not be beaten!! Who wouldn't rather eat fresh peas from the garden rather than frozen?

Comment

Originally posted by momol View Post
                              SBP....I know they need warm that is why I am putting a thread asking the experienced grapes about any succes growing them .

What are you saying about my advice?

Comment

Yes you can be one, why not .
                                I posted a thread on vegging out ( about butter pea/lima beans) so far, haven't found any experienced grapes for it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X