No announcement yet.

Not to be grown list

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I won't grow Black Tuscan kale again, tough and tasteless. Even the Chooks won't eat it.

Sprouts, although I love them they are just not worth the trouble for two of us.

Main crop Spuds - BIGHT
    Last edited by roitelet; 05-02-2008, 09:41 AM.
    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

I hate celery and rhubarb so definitely wont be growing them!!

I grew Asparagus Peas years ago, for the flowers and ground cover, they attracted lots of bees and tasted fine to me, lightly sauted with butter and garlic.
      Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Originally posted by moggssue View Post
        I hate celery and rhubarb so definitely wont be growing them!!

I grew Asparagus Peas years ago, for the flowers and ground cover, they attracted lots of bees and tasted fine to me, lightly sauted with butter and garlic.
        I haven't eat any asparagus pea but was told it taste the same like winged beans (Psophocarpus Tetragonolobus). I am planning to grow some winged beans this year as it is all edible ( leaves, tubers, young bean pods, beans except the stalks ). Wish me luck with this winged beans .
        I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

I won't be growing cauliflower. I like it, but the rest of the family are not keen - even the dog won't touch it and she eats anything.
          Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
            Really? What do they taste like raw (and cooked)?

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
            A bit like very mild cabbage stalk. Is that any help. Really nutty and slightly brassica-ish.
            Originally posted by momol View Post
            I am with Flummery, though it has brassica taste but very mild, love the crispy and sweet taste, they are yummy. Get the young bulb, once too old no longer taste !!!
            totally agree with all the above, never honestly tried them cooked as i have never got one home before, agree with momol that you have to get them young, slightly smaller than a golf ball, they are soooo sweet when eaten this size, only drawback is getting to them before the slugs!!!
            Kernow rag nevra

Some people feel the rain, others just get wet.
            Bob Dylan

Comment

Originally posted by kernowyon
              .....agree with momol that you have to get them young, slightly smaller than a golf ball, they are soooo sweet when eaten this size, only drawback is getting to them before the slugs!!!
              That's small, I've only seen them in the supermarket and they were small 'swede-sized'.
              To see a world in a grain of sand
              And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

The one i used to buy from the local farmer is bigger than that but still young, juicy and crispy. If you grow your own, it's your decision when to harvest .
                Last edited by momol; 05-02-2008, 12:38 PM.

Comment

SBP, i could have let them get bigger but i originally planted them quite close together, and when i started to harvest them i couldn't wait for them to get much bigger than a golf ball, each to their own though. the bigger they get the greater the chance that they will taste 'woody and tough'
                  Kernow rag nevra

Some people feel the rain, others just get wet.
                  Bob Dylan

Comment

Originally posted by kernowyon View Post
                    SBP, i could have let them get bigger but i originally planted them quite close together, and when i started to harvest them i couldn't wait for them to get much bigger than a golf ball, each to their own though. the bigger they get the greater the chance that they will taste 'woody and tough'
                    I would love to eat the mini size too, I bet they are tastier than the one I got from the farmer . Too bad I don't have any space left for extra brassica.
                    That's the luxury of growing your own, harvest any stage you like .
                    SBP are going to grow them too ? You can always get the purple one, very attractive.

Comment

Ahh, don't know whether I'll grow them, in the meantime I've been 'ebaying' and have found some more globe artichokes varieties.....I'm addicted!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Liz and Steve View Post
                        Found salsify a lot of work for the results,
                        S
                        I loved the salsify and it's almost impossible to find in the shops. I tried it for the first time last year and found it reasonably easy to grow, but it is a b#@*er to prepare in the kitchen!

I think you'll end up hating anything you grow too much of (except possibly asparagus) so I've decided to try a few things I haven't grown before and would never buy 'cos I'm not that keen (cauliflower, brussels, broadbeans) and see how they taste straight from the plot - I'll let you know

Comment

Not much veg I don't like but with the size of garden I have there is no way I could ever supply enough onions to feed me and I can get hold of them easily and locally anyway so I choose not to grow them. Same goes for carrots and main crop spuds.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

We grew beetroot for my grandmother who loved it - we didn't like it, the smell when being boiled for however long. However, we have discovered its tasty roasted, so now we grow it (and I've also made borscht (though with chioggia type so looked a bit odd!)).
                            Sprouts - don't like overcooked soggy things - try them shredded and stir-fried with mustard seed/nuts, with onions.
                            Scorzonera I think is nicer than Salsify.
                            Not had any success with celeriac but I think I'll give it one more go.
                            Just trying to think of anything we won't try to grow - cardoons and globe artichokes.
                            My Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
                            Photo Album - http://www.flickr.com/photos/99039017@N00/

Comment

No globe artichokes multiveg? They're very easy and make fab. flowers too, put them in the border!

Comment

Globe artichokes are well worth growing even as SBP says for the flowers and the cost a fortune. All the srpouting broccoli types are lovely with melted butter and once again, the supermarkets charge a fortune. Mmmm must go out into garden when I get home to see if the purple and white sprouting have sprouted I am feeling hungry.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X