Not to be grown list

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is vegetable spaghetti?!?!?!
    I wont grow celery, its awful!! i dont like sprouts but may grow just because i force a few down at christmas.
    cauli this year didnt grow properly so i will give it a miss, dont eat much of it anyway.
    Poatatoes seem too much hassle, although i have some free vale emerald which i may put in pot or ground, dont know yet.
    I tried florence fennel but it hardly bulbed, so wont bother again.
    Onions take up a lot of space and time, i have some in now and wish i had not bothered, could use leeks instead.
    melons seem like too much trouble.
    broad beans i dont like, and radish, but apart from that i think i will give anything a go.

Comment

Vegetable Spaghetti

Comment

Originally posted by SMS6 View Post
        Oh dear, I am going to grow it this year, called vermicelli (F1). Does it taste horrible SMS6 ?
        I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

I guess I need to add to this list again, among it will be Early Purple Sprouting Broccoli. It takes lots of space and accupy the ground for very long yet I don't have that much space. Everything that takes up too much space and too long will be my not to be grown list. I will convert if we got bigger garden but for now, had to be very selective.

Comment

Originally posted by momol View Post
            Oh dear, I am going to grow it this year, called vermicelli (F1). Does it taste horrible SMS6 ?

wouldn't say it tastes horrible it just doesn't taste of anything much. Just seems to be a very watery sort of cucumber taste.

I tried baking it and steaming it whole

Maybe I just didn't grow very good specimens

Comment

Thanks SMS6,

I think will only grow 1 plant (Vermicelli F1), just for tasting and see how it goes. You are welcome to try some of my vermicelli F1 if like but I have no idea how the taste is.

Comment

Thanks Momol, let me know what you think of the taste once you've grown them and maybe I'll consider trying another variety, although I'm not exactly sure what mine were. I'll need to check if I still have them or if I threw them away in disgust.

Comment

Will recommend it if it taste good SMS6.
                  I got hooked with the winter squash growing due to tasting my red kuri, very tasty and even nice eaten raw (nutty, sweet and crunchy).
                  Yokohama squash is also very yummy (similar with red kuri but sweeter) .

Comment

Black futsu - we grew one successfully last year, kept it in the cupboard over winter and then made a soup with it. Yuk, very sweet - I guess we shouldn't have made savoury with it!
                    To see a world in a grain of sand
                    And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
                      Black futsu - we grew one successfully last year, kept it in the cupboard over winter and then made a soup with it. Yuk, very sweet - I guess we shouldn't have made savoury with it!
                      but do you like butternut squash, if you do then i'm a bit concerned as it so happens, i'm growing black futsu this year.
                      Food for Free

Comment

Ah, it was a very good tasting squash, with a very good consistency of flesh.....but I'm not fond of too 'sweet in my savoury'. I've just asked the OH who thought it was 'nutty, sweet and delicious'! So there you go.
                        To see a world in a grain of sand
                        And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Sweet tasting winter squash are good for making bread and dessert.
                          Last edited by momol; 21-02-2008, 02:15 PM.

Comment

I've given upon sprouts, broccoli etc. I just can't keep the caterpillars off and they take up too much room.
                            My daughter loves raw kohl rabi, grown successfully last year and NOT troubled by caterpillars.
                            I can't get my radishes to 'radish' in this garden, but I used to be successful when I had a lottie.
                            Due to space I'm going for expensive or 'special' veg. Celeriac worked well last year tho, 1st time I've grown it, and they aren't as big as the ones from the shops, but they aren't hollow either!
                            I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
                            Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

I admire the way you all seem to be able to select what to grow. I managed to grow a few (and I mean few, think of an odd number between 1 and 5)lettuce before squirrels or something got under the netting & gorged themselves. I tried leeks, you know, the easiest to grow veg that you can't fail with. Yes,you guessed it.Failure.Still,it was my first year & the small results gave me great pleasure despite everything. This year I'm going to have a go at growing.......anything!!!
                              Time flies like an arrow,Fruit-flies like a banana.

Comment

It's alright for you lot

I admire the way you all seem to be able to select what to grow. I managed to grow a few (and I mean few, think of an odd number between 1 and 5)lettuce before squirrels or something got under the netting & gorged themselves. I tried leeks, you know, the easiest to grow veg that you can't fail with. Yes,you guessed it.Failure.Still,it was my first year & the small results gave me great pleasure despite everything. This year I'm going to have a go at growing.......anything!!!
                                Time flies like an arrow,Fruit-flies like a banana.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X