Not to be grown list

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BarleySugar View Post
    I've given upon sprouts, broccoli etc. I just can't keep the caterpillars off and they take up too much room.
    My daughter loves raw kohl rabi, grown successfully last year and NOT troubled by caterpillars.
    I can't get my radishes to 'radish' in this garden, but I used to be successful when I had a lottie.
    Due to space I'm going for expensive or 'special' veg. Celeriac worked well last year tho, 1st time I've grown it, and they aren't as big as the ones from the shops, but they aren't hollow either!
    Water your Brussels with a gallon of water with a tablespoon of salt in the caterpillars hate it ... I had the same trouble as you till I was told about this and it worked!

Patty Pan Squash I wouldn't grow again I tried one year and they looked great but Mrs G didn't like em ... have you ever tried to get rid of 6 million patty pans to a load of folks that "don't do this new fangled veg"

After last year I won't bother with maincrop spuds more hassle than they are worth but I am growing about 8 times as many earlies in pots, tubs and sacks as last year.
    ntg
    Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
    ==================================================

Comment

i will never grow courgettes again. Too successful even when neglected, most ended up as marrows in the compost.
      My Square Foot Gardening Experiment Blog :
      http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...log_usercp.php

Comment

I'll grow absolutely anything which takes my fancy just 'cos I love growing stuff. If SWMBO or I won't eat it, somebody I know will. Bring it all on, I say!
        http://norm-foodforthought.blogspot.com/

If it ain't broke, don't fix it and if you ain't going to eat it, don't kill it

Comment

well everyone seems to have their tastes...must admit to not finding much taste in pattipans myself but everyone I gave them to had never tried such things but loved them. I am growing them again for a clientelle this year (will I be giving them away - I think maybe some for sale for my trouble lol).
          Never much a spud fan but tried some Earlies last year and so easy to grow I am trying other types this year - admittedly unusual ones for salads etc (Maya, Mimi, charlottes and the freebie Ulster Sceptre).
          Love tomatoes but in this climate may be dropping them if not so good this year.
          Courgettes mmm take em or leave em (as well as cucumbers unless home grown).
          So far nothing I would say a definite no to growing again except Hollyhocks - ugly and spread rust to Br beans i reckon.

Comment

Originally posted by Glasshousevirgin View Post
            well everyone seems to have their tastes...must admit to not finding much taste in pattipans myself...
            What size are you picking them? You can pick them large, 6" or so, as well as small. They're a tasty squash when larger, peel 'em though.
            Last edited by smallblueplanet; 24-02-2008, 09:28 PM.
            To see a world in a grain of sand
            And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X