Can you have too much poo?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you have too much poo?

Is this a good buy? How much does one need on a half lottie?

Horse and Chicken manure - 50p a bag
    aka
    Suzie

Sounds very reasonable price Piskie but what are the size of the bag ?

We got our dry granulated cow manure for 18 eur/50 litres and the chicken pellet is 8euro/ 10 kg bag.

I don't know how much would you need for your lottie (sorry ).
    I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

I suppose it depends on what you are trying to grow. Some plants like a rich soil, some don't. Horse manure = soil conditioner, chicken manure = soil enricher.
      I've been putting tons of horse manure on my garden for years, and the flowers still grow!
      I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

I don't think there's such a thing as too much poo.

Have you had a look on freecycle for horse manure. I sourced myself a local supplier who was only too happy to get rid of it. She delivered a horsebox full, completely free of charge. She is now supplying the allotment site with regular deliveries. Might be worth a look see.
        A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

You can put too much fresh chicken poo in the soil , but mixed in with others and in pellet form, it's ok.

Horse manure is known to produce more weeds than cow poo due to a poorer digestive tract.
          Fresh manure is more bulky than pellets , and will be better for the soil consistancy- and worms.

Have a look at this site- although it won't answer your question as to how much you need piskie.

http://www.plantea.com/manure.htm
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Great site Nicos, thanks for that!
            A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Horse and Chicken manure - 50p a bag

Is it well rotted? if it is fresh it is going to rot down and the bag full you started with is going to end up as a shovel full, handy if you only want a couple of bags to put on your rhubarb but IMO a bit costly to cover your plot with. Have a look round and see if you can find someone who gives it away or even invest in a trailor load of well rotted stuff from a farmer.

Comment

I'd echo the 'how big a bag?' question. I got a tipper truck load of horse manure delivered for £30 recently. I found the chappie by asking around with other plot holders (you've probably done that already though!).
                I was feeling part of the scenery
                I walked right out of the machinery
                My heart going boom boom boom
                "Hey" he said "Grab your things
                I've come to take you home."

Comment

Were lucky on our allotments we get it delivered by the farmer free of charge several time a year

Beware Greeks bearing gifts, or have you already got a wooden horse?... hehe.

Comment

Originally posted by crichmond View Post
                    Were lucky on our allotments we get it delivered by the farmer free of charge several time a year
                    Hi, You are lucky. We do get deliveries of well rotted to our site but it has a price of £20 a load, which i think is pretty reasonable. Minty X
                    " If it tastes like chicken THEN EAT CHICKEN " :- Kermit The Frog

http://mohicans-allotment.blogspot.com/

Comment

In a word - No
                      Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Too much poo??

I am lucky in that I have my own mobile horse poo delivery service. The daughter cleans up after it and puts it all in a pile and I wait for it to rot and chuck it all over my raised beds and garden. I still have a mass of clay instead of soil but it works wonders in the beds.
                        50p if not rotted is probably not a great bargain, although when making comparisons its worth remembering that sometimes size is important!!!
                        Last edited by bobleponge; 06-02-2008, 08:53 AM.
                        Bob Leponge
                        Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

I've seen well rotted farmyard manure on sale in DIY stores for £3.99 for a small bag. Even if yours comes in similarly sized bags and then rots down by two thirds it still means you have the equivalent amount for £1.50. I'd go for it.
                          Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

BLUEMOON
                            Are you sure you are from Yorkshire, (hear all, see all, say nowt, eat all, sup all, pay nowt) there is a little stable that sells fresh muck at 50p for a carrier bag a mile up the road I can get it by the trailor load for nowt, stables are desperate to get rid all you have to do is find them.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X