main crop spuds and slugs

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• main crop spuds and slugs

has anyone got any tips on avoidance of slug damage on maincrop pots. Earlies are not too bad but maincrop get decimated and not many on our allotments grow them because of it. But I love my spuds and would dearly like to have a worthwhile crop

You could always try using nematodes.

Beware Greeks bearing gifts, or have you already got a wooden horse?... hehe.

Comment

Nematodes are great, but not if you have clay soil, in which case you might be better off trying to obtain a slug resistant variety. Nematodes can also be expensive, especially if you just want them to protect a 'cheap' crop like spuds. We occasionally have a slug problem, but it often seems worse in some years than in others.
      Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Slugs don't like Desiree pots apparently, I'll be growing some of them this year.
        Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

I've heard somewhere of getting a biggish spud, chopping it in half, then spearing it onto the end of a cane then burying the potato end. Check back in a couple of days...
          My Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
          Photo Album - http://www.flickr.com/photos/99039017@N00/

Comment

Soot, for three years I spread soot on the ground where I was going to plant my spuds then rotavated it in shortly before planting result pretty clean spuds, last year due to upgrade of site the sweep did not make any deliveries result horrendous slug damage, this year back to normal soot turned in and just waiting for a couple of weeks before I start planting.

Comment

Nematodes, definitely definitely yes. Slug resistant varieties as well. Beer traps. Every possible thing in the arsenal, all at the same time, I reckon!

Comment

Yep, try the lot: frogs, beer traps (but try not to catch beetles), upturned grapefruits (they congregate underneath so you can then season heavily with salt - they don't like that so much)

Avoid mulches and other forms of hiding place.
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

i'm still digging over my plot and am finding loads of slug/snail eggs as well as leatherjackets, i'm enjoying squishing them. but it does make me wonder how many i am missing lurking under the soil

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                    Yep, try the lot: frogs, beer traps (but try not to catch beetles), upturned grapefruits (they congregate underneath so you can then season heavily with salt - they don't like that so much)

Avoid mulches and other forms of hiding place.
                    Not so sure there is a link to mulches and keel slug activity TS? I mulch heavily with farmyard manure, dibble my spuds through mulch, don't earth up and I had very little slug damage last year!

I suppose to prove or disprove the theory I should prepare one bed without mulch and earth up spuds..................but to be honest I can't be bothered. To my mind, if something ain't broken, there's no need for me to fix it.
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X